I need help with ideas

Andyboi

So my teacher is giving us a month to work on our IA's and I'm really confused and flustered at the moment. We are supposed to come in with a topic as soon as possible and I'm having trouble choosing my topic. I was thinking something along the lines of going to different stores and buying the same brand of cookies from each store and seeing which is the better deal? Or maybe buying those party bags of chocolate candies (the ones where they have different types of chocolate in one bag) and seeing which store has the most even distribution of each candy. (I dont even know if that makes any sense....) Any help is appreciated xoxo

their medals won

Can you please quote me if you reply to me? That way I know you've said something :)

I recommend doing execution score not medals because you might have less anomalies. Due to the fact that one person could dominate a bunch of events and such which means you don't have a lot to play with. But medals is ok. You'd be investigating whether there is a correlation between height and ability to win medals or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

their medals won

I recommend doing execution score not medals because you might have less anomalies. Due to the fact that one person could dominate a bunch of events and such which means you don't have a lot to play with. But medals is ok. You'd be investigating whether there is a correlation between height and ability to win medals or something like that.

I think "medals won" wouldn't necessarily work as well statistically because examining the number of gold, silver, or bronze medals earned at specific heights must only be considered by using Olympic data (a gold medal at the World Championships is entirely different from a gold medal earned at the Olympic Games). To get the most variation, I would suggest using data from not only the Olympics but also a variety of other competitions in which the gymnasts have competed - the World Gymnastics Championships, international friendly matches, et cetera; the more data you use, always, the more accurate your mathematical experiment/analysis will be. Then you can add something clever, like counting the number of points per inch or per centimeter, and you can answer the nagging questions: Do tall gymnasts bow under pressure? Can short gymnasts stand up to the challenge?

Edited by enmason