EE - Math SL, Probability

AndreSBerntsen

Hello fellow IB Students, I need help with my EE in math sl.tp

I have decided to do my EE in math sl based on probability, but I can't seem to find a suitable reserch question or an idea to get me started.

I was thinking about choosing something that involves poker or a card game. Lately I have been looking a bit moreinto the Monty Hall problem and I found it intersting but I don't know if it is suitable for an EE.

Any help at all would be appreciated, suggestions, sites to read about probability problems or even some video clips to watch.

I apologize if my Enlgish is a bit sloppy, it is 2am and I am exhausted.

-André

Edited by AndreSBerntsen

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a Math EE is generally only adviced if you do Math HL, but if you really want to do Math you still can.

Probability in general is a very popular choice amongst Math EE students.

I am not sure on the Monty Hall Problem but the problem itself is interesting although I would say not enough to base an entire EE around it.

Dealing with gambling and probability in card games often tend to have to simple Mathematics as in the Math EE you should investigate Mathematics that are new to you.

This is only my judgment but if you want to make sure talk to your supervisor.

A general good source for ideas are the Mathematical Olympiad or the 100 Great Problems of Elementary Mathematics.