Should I join IB Biology?

Rtothea

Hello, I'm considering joining IB Biology HL. During 10th grade, however, I got a B as my final grade, and I'm quite disappointed in that. I was a B+, went down to a B from getting a C in my final exam. Meh. Do you think a B is good enough to join Biology IB? I quite like Biology, and am seriously considering joining. But scared that I'll probably fail miserably. Do you think I should join? Do you think a B in standard Bio is good enough?

Any SL science should be quite doable in my opinion (except for Physics maybe). Think about what you want to study in university and what you want to do later as a career. If you are interested in Biology, by all means take it. If not, you still need a Group 4 subject right? What else might you take? Chemistry, physics, ESS instead?

Failing miserably in any IB subject is unlikely if you try your best.

Depends on what kind of science person you are. Good at memorisation/ Interpretating data? (Biology) Equations/ Solving maths problems (Physics). Sidenote: However you don't necessarily have to be good at maths or numbers to be good at physics, as it has more to do with the application of scientific concepts, but it does help a bit with understanding. Anywho, then there's Chemistry which is a bit of both. At many IB schools (I've looked at) with minimum grade requirements per subject, the minimum grade they suggest at SL is a B. And to study at HL students should have an A (usually at GCSE but same difference). Your B will not hinder you at all, the IB science curriculum usually brushes the basic concepts anyways. Wish I could say the same for Maths HL though :/ Join, but be prepared to study like crazy and become more than acquainted with the syllabus.

• Like 1

Do HL biology if you like memorising because thats what its all about. You have a specific syllabus in bio so don't worry if you know everything in your syllabus then your current grades will not affect your IB biology grade at least not substantially. SL bio on the other hand is quite easy and it is often taken by people looking to pursue business/econ degrees because its the least stressful group 4 subject as seen by a lot of people apart from ESS. If you have a B now you must be reasonably good, SL bio will be no problem at all because like I said Bio has a specific syllabus with all the objectives/outlines and so if you know them all then you'll be fine. Note the difference between SL and HL bio is substantial, SL covers maybe 50% of the material the rest is the hardcore HL material which requires a great deal of memorising. See what suits your interests most.