Confused About University Choices

Rachel_97

Hi,

Currently, I am a Pre-IB/ MYP student in Canada. I am interested in pursuing a career in the field of medicine (maybe neuropsychiatry).

I do not know which universities to go to for Undergrad, medical school, and residency. I am interested in University of Toronto in Canada, Johns Hopkins in USA, and University of Sydney in Australia in no particular order of how I want to go.

My first actual question is: Since I am in IB, is it better to do my Undergrad outside of my home country since IB is international? I was sort of interested in doing Undergrad in my home country then going outside of country for medical school/residency. How should I do this?

Secondly, do medical schools (ie. Johns Hopkins School of Medicine) take into account what university you attend for Undergrad? Does the university you go to for Undergrad affect whether you are accepted or not into medical school?

Thanks in advance to any advice :) Also ask me for more info if you need to make a more accurate advisory.

From a financial standpoint, UofT would be your best choice. Going to the States for your undergrad is pretty expensive (their tuition fees are crazy high!), but I'm not sure about Australia. If they charge international tuition fees it could be quite pricey. UofT would be much cheaper (even cheaper if you live in the Toronto area and are able to commute to campus).

Also UofT would give you more scholarships, it has a good reputation, good location etc. However, one downside of UofT is the reputed difficulty of their life sci program and the university in general (bell curving). Also one thing I didn't like about UofT was how big it was population-wise and how competitive it seemed. Also I didn't really like the college I applied to but that's another story...Sorry if all this confuses you but I just want to tell you that there are both upsides and downsides to UofT.

Just because you did IB doesn't mean you have to go out of the country. For the record, IB is well-recognized here in Canada and for some unis, it will be easier for you to get in because you did IB (not all unis though).

However, if you have the money to go outside, it could be a really cool experience and you're still getting a degree from a good university.

I don't know about international med schools but the Canadian ones don't usually care much about where you went for your undergrad degree.

• Like 1

Hi,

Currently, I am a Pre-IB/ MYP student in Canada. I am interested in pursuing a career in the field of medicine (maybe neuropsychiatry).

I do not know which universities to go to for Undergrad, medical school, and residency. I am interested in University of Toronto in Canada, Johns Hopkins in USA, and University of Sydney in Australia in no particular order of how I want to go.

My first actual question is: Since I am in IB, is it better to do my Undergrad outside of my home country since IB is international? I was sort of interested in doing Undergrad in my home country then going outside of country for medical school/residency. How should I do this?

Secondly, do medical schools (ie. Johns Hopkins School of Medicine) take into account what university you attend for Undergrad? Does the university you go to for Undergrad affect whether you are accepted or not into medical school?

Thanks in advance to any advice :) Also ask me for more info if you need to make a more accurate advisory.

Hey, I just want to clarify that University of Sydney offers an undergrad MBBS program in Medicine - so that's straight after finishing the Diploma. This was usually the case with all medical schools in Australia, but now many Unis have introduced the BSc-MD pathway such as University of Melbourne and University of Queensland. Just a heads up (Y)

• Like 1

Hi,

Hey, I just want to clarify that University of Sydney offers an undergrad MBBS program in Medicine - so that's straight after finishing the Diploma. This was usually the case with all medical schools in Australia, but now many Unis have introduced the BSc-MD pathway such as University of Melbourne and University of Queensland. Just a heads up (Y)

Is it true that the MBBS program is very difficult to get into? Is the Bsc-MD pathway better?