English Literature A HL or Economics HL ?

Ace.face

20 members have voted

1. 1. what should I do ?

• english hl
    • economics hl

So I have the chance to make this switch between my HL subjects..

I'm pretty good at writing, but my english teacher disagrees. I feel that she needs to know my abilities better, but so far she has suggested I move to English SL, which isn't too bad... only if it weren't for my second option, Economics HL.

I'm already taking Economics SL( obviously ), but what do you know she says I'm risking an easy 7 if I move to Econ HL... meaning that I would do much better in the SL.

What do you guys think?

Oh, my other option is Chemistry HL... haha no way I fail at life when it comes to that subject.

Just wanted to add, content wise, difficulty, etc. what do you prefer?

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, our school attempts to get absolutely everyone into English HL, even though they may not be strictly capable of it! Gathering from what you said, you seem to be fairly confident in your own ability to do English HL (and maybe you even enjoy it, but that is perhaps another issue of debate) so maybe the trick is to use those persuasive essay-writing skills in order to convince your teacher to allow you to stay :) Otherwise, if you don't mind dropping, I would say that Economics HL is probably do-able. I don't do Economics, but my friends say that a 7 is achievable with some hard work and basic understanding, whether SL or HL, and that there isn't that huge a gap between SL and HL. Though once again, some views are probably biased and shouldn't be achieved. So whilst I think that keeping English at HL is probably a wise choice, Economics HL wouldn't be too bad either.

English is far more enjoyable, but far more difficult to score a 7 in at HL. Economics is a quite easy subject in general, HL or SL, though I qualify that by saying I haven't thoroughly examined the new course. Problem is, unless you're into to diagrams and models, Economics is boring as piss.

• 3 weeks later...

I love economics so I'm definitely biased but in all honesty, I think it is a much easier HL than EngLit HL (which is why I'm doing LitSL and EconHL). Plus the math paper is just simple calculations that takes a lot less time to revise for and provides a lot more certainty than EngLit papers so I would definitely go for Econ HL.

• 1 month later...

Also, doing Economics HL comes with another exam paper (paper 3), you don't have that for English - regardless if you're doing SL or HL.

My English teacher says the only differences between English HL and SL are the grade boundaries, and the difficulty bar.

The best thing to do (if you wanna do well in English) is to look at the criteria properly and see what you need to improve.

For lit, criteria A and B are quite easy to improve...but if you have an issue with criteria C (style of language) then that might be a problem because you need a wide range of vocabularies to do well, and use it correctly.

Although, I think Economics HL is easier. English Lit HL is looked up to though (if you do well in it of course).

I'd say take Economics HL, the jump between HL and SL is very small. It's so small that it is not uncommon to have a mixed SL/ HL class. You'd only need to catch up on the theory of the firm chapter, which is very easy to grasp (I had to self-teach to use the information in one of my portfolios and I am an SL student), as well as a few pages worth of HL content stuff.

According to: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/statistical_bulletin_may_2011.pdf statistics of the may 2011 results 2% of English A1 HL candidates got a 7, whilst 5% of English A1 SL candidates got a 7. As for the Economics candidates, 15% of HL candidates scored a 7, whilst 11% of SL candidates scored a 7. Statistics would suggest a combination of Economics HL and English SL would be better for scoring 7s as opposed to English A1 HL and Economics SL, however these are stats and stats do not mean it is true for every individual.

More statistics for results of previous sessions: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/

Another reason why I feel you should do Econ HL is because your English teacher is probably going to be the one giving you English predicted grades and if she fails to see your ability at this stage, the only way you would be able to sway her opinion is to put a lot of effort and show her the best you can do, but this may take away time from your other demanding subjects. Economics is less subjective than English and ergo is easier to improve in (in my opinion). You can go through mark scheme's and they tell you exactly what they want, and you can develop your answers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...