If you have about 35/40 for the math portfolio's, how much do you need to get in the exams to pass IB SL math?

Ms. Procrastinator

Portfolios only count for 20% of your final grade, so basically if you don't pass the actual exams themselves, there is a great chance you will fail overall. Also you can't count on your IA grades to stay, in my year the SL marks went down about 5 points on average, so just try to pass the IB exams.

But how many points do you need from the exams to get a two if you have a good IA? I've heard that it is quite hard to get a one and actually fail to receive the diploma because of a sl subject if everything else goes well, but i would like to know at least aroud how much you should score in the exams to receive a two.

• 2 months later...

if you get 35/40 for your maths SL IAs I doubt you need to worry about failing. I believe a 34/40 is considered a 7 for ur assessments - ask your teacher his/her experience with moderation. Good teachers tend to stay within +/- a mark, although of course this can vary. A 7 in SL maths ranges from around 80-90% but is usually in the high 80s.The best way to revise imo is to just get your hands on some past paper exams and work on them. Check each answer after you've completed it and if you get it wrong know why. Far more enjoyable than studying from a textbook, jumping between topics in the question keeps things interesting.

• 2 months later...

As the grade boundaries change between exam session and time zone, it is hard to say exactly. For any mark you should always assume a grade boundary is higher than it could be.

So I assumed a 4 for SL Maths as 55%,

So with 35/40 IA, you need at least 43 marks out of 90. So about half the marks.