Going to good university in America (SAT vs IB)

bulareo

I'm not sure you understand what the SAT test is, and the distinction between the IB and SAT. The SAT is simply a standardised test that measures skill in some subject areas. The IB is a whole program. Going to stanford requires you to do well in your SAT, but also to do well in your IB - they are not too different types of schooling you are undertaking, and so aren't really comparable. If you're talking about your final IB exams compared to your SAT test(s), then it's really not an issue because you should have done your SAT test(s) well in advance.

• Like 2

I recommend u focusing on SAT......

a high SAT score is a necessary condition to get into Stanford in most of the cases...

BTW.... If u really come from Fiji I think you should have a better chance to get in if your family contribution to tuition is sufficient.

Scholarship......dont EVER think about it as an international student

@Grassroot please get your facts straight before offering help,

Technically there's no cutoff for the SAT scores, and if you fail your IB, good luck getting into Stanford.

And Stanford does offer scholarships to internationals, it's just harder to get in.

By looking at the IQR of the admitted students' SAT Score, u should realize that a low SAT score will already eliminate your chances of getting into Stanford.

I did not argue that IB is not important. However, with regard to application SAT will be the first thing AOs look at. Given that IB results will not be available in July of the candidate's senior year, SAT will, unfortunately, be an important proof for IB students' academic ability besides HS transcript.

I am also aiming at US universities, so i had asked a few famous uni and did some research. SAT is a requirement for US universities, so no matter what.. better take the SATs and get good grades of course. In addition, IB can be counted as credit so it's still useful. You maybe able to skip a year or two with your credits altogether.

• 1 month later...

1. coming from fiji, the standards for admission are lower. a lot lower. that being said, stanford will probably admit only one person from fiji at the most. so make sure no one else in fiji has a better application than you.

2. financial aid is not as good at stanford as the other ivies, but they do offer it. applying for financial aid at stanford will decrease your chances of getting in as they are not need blind towards international students.

Ok..here is how it is. inorder to get into big universities such as stanford you have to get very good grades on your SAT or ACT. If you are considering an engineering course you are required to also take the SAT subject test (maths and physics). Your SAT score is a big factor in admission. However, you also have to take quite a bit of extra curriculars as they want students you are good under pressure. Regarding financial aid, you guys are wrong, stanford practically covers all school expenses(tuition and rooms) provided you get accepted for admission. Also, they also require you to write a college essay on the topics they give you or on a topic of your choice. Furthermore, they also require your school reports, and in your case that would be your IB transcripts and predicted grades.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, most are need based but there are some merit based scholarships as well. As I said before, if the school really wants you they will make sure that you are able to attend. Garimaib, I think the personal statement and the college essay are one and the same thing unless ofcourse you are applyin to Princeton. They tend to want an additional essay if you are interested in an engineering course.

Don't worry too much about your SATs, the tests are fairly simple. With just a little practice in your free time, it's completely plausible to end up with a 2200+ score with a good night's rest. Personally I found the subject tests just slightly more challenging, but that was a negligible fraction. The SATs are not so hard that they should become the focal point of your academic pursuits in high school.