Course Selection Help!

guest123

Hey guys! Course selection deadlines for my school are very near and I still haven't decided on some of the courses. So the toss up is between either taking Biology at HL or English Lit. at HL. I have already decided what other courses I would like to take already, however, I'm not so sure about these two courses. I was wondering about which is more challenging, how much the workload is for each course and how difficult it is to score well in both courses. Additionally, I would also like to know the difference between SL and HL in these respective courses.

I need a reply soon as the form is supposed to be handed in within the next two to three days. I have strong interests in both subjects and do well in both science and English. If you guys are wondering what other courses I have chosen, I have written them below and would also appreciate commentary on the combination of courses I have chosen in terms of difficulty, workload etc.

I have chosen Geography and History at HL. Chinese B and Math SL.

personally I recommend taking English Lit HL just because the difference between SL and HL are minimal, in fact English SL has a reputation for being the hardest SL due to this fact. There, however is a huge gap between Bio HL and Bio SL. SL just does the core and options while HL does the core, extra topics, and options. If you're sill unsure you can take 4 HL at first and then drop your least favorite one. Good luck with your decision !

Edited by Mrs.Stein

It's easier to score high in Biology than English. If you know the facts in bio, then you're well on your way to a 6 or 7. English is pretty subjective so it's not a sure 6 or 7. Your analysis has to be quite good and well-supported to get a good mark. Personally I think bio requires a bit less effort for a 7, but you still have to do work :P Just not as much as in English HL.

Plus what do you want to study at uni? Keep in mind important stuff like uni prerequisites. If you want to do something science-related, go for bio HL. In fact, if you want to study something science related, it's best if you drop one of your humanities and take a second science as well. If you're leaning more towards the humanities, English HL will be of more use to you.

• Like 2

Hey Summer! For university, I'm still not sure whether I want to do law or a more biology-based subject (environmental geography etc.)

Just another question, how different is the material between HL and SL English Literature? (in terms of the works and the material that is supposed to be read and studied). Also, if I choose English at HL, then I'm also considering ESS for an SL subject. How seriously is ESS taken? Or, is it better to go with a traditional science?

Edited by Summer Glau

In literature the main difference is that HL read 3 more books. At our school we use the same books for SL and HL and then HL get a few more, but this may differer depending on wether your school divide students into different HL and SL classes or if it's one mixed class.

If you are considering a biology-related study I would suggest you choose biology.

Just another question, how different is the material between HL and SL English Literature? (in terms of the works and the material that is supposed to be read and studied). Also, if I choose English at HL, then I'm also considering ESS for an SL subject. How seriously is ESS taken? Or, is it better to go with a traditional science?

ESS is not a "traditional" science like biology, chemistry, or physics. The course is quite similar to biology but with less memorization, more writing, and the topics are not that similar. The class has no multiple choice on its Paper 1 Exam at the end of the year; On Paper 2 you do have to write an essay and it is partially graded on how "well" you write. Also, there are less labs in ESS (or at least compared to Biology for instance). I would only recommend taking it if you know you are sure you are not going to go into any science based career (perhaps with the exception of anything environmentally based or geologically based). It still does count as a science in terms of university (it could be considered a bit "softer" but as long as you're not going to become a doctor for instance it should be fine) and does it gives you credit for a group 3 as well, so it could work to your advantage if you are going in the humanities or even law as the class is heavily writing based. So the class does have its advantages. If you have any more questions about ESS, feel free to message me, and good luck with your decisions!

Well, I now have 4 combinations and I was wondering if you guys could tell me which would be the best:

The first combination would be HL: English Lit., Biology and Geography. SL: History, Maths and Chinese B.

The second combination would be HL: History, Geography, Biology. SL: Math, Chinese B and English Lit.

The third combination would be HL: English Lit. History, Geography. SL: Math, Chinese B and Biology.

The fourth would be the same as the third combination, however, Biology would be ESS.

Which one would be the best in terms of scoring the best? Workload? Which combination would be the most difficult? Easiest? And what's the difference between History HL and SL, like, is the difference huge?

Thanks to all for answering all these questions!

Edited by guest123

If you're not sure if you want to do law or science, I would take English, history and biology at HL if possible. That way, you have English and history for law, but you also have biology for science. Even if you go into environmental science, biology is still good to have and it gives you more options in terms of future careers than geography. Then take Chinese B, math, and geography at SL.

If you must go with one of the above combinations, I would pick the first one as it gives you the most career options.

What do you really acheive by doing a language at HL? Is it preferable if you are doing law or other professions that require a lot of reading of laws and rules?

BTW: Bio SL does not necessarily have less lab reports than bio HL. SL and HL in my chemistry and physics classes has equal amounts of lab reports.

I don't do biology but I have the impression that the bio SL class at my school has all the lasiest students. Being in such a class cannot be very inspiring

:>

What about the second combination? Or, particularly in the UK, is English important in law (also considering the HL and SL courses are similar. The teacher who is teaching SL next year said the texts would be exactly the same, except in HL they'll read more texts)?

Edited by guest123

Can you chose anyone you want? Or your given like a list of those your school offers? Well, since you gave us no preselected courses I'll assume you can take any IB subject. Then, if I was you I would take these:

English A1 HL

German A2 SL

Philosophy/Psychology/World Religions SL

Biology HL

Mathematics HL

Theatre HL

i have maths, chemistry and physics HL. Norwegian A1, English A2 and psychology SL. So I cannot really answer questions about subject i dont know anything about and dont like. my answers would be greatly biased. The bachelor gets an advice when he is about to hand out the roses: follow your heart

Can you chose anyone you want? Or your given like a list of those your school offers? Well, since you gave us no preselected courses I'll assume you can take any IB subject. Then, if I was you I would take these:

English A1 HL

German A2 SL

Philosophy/Psychology/World Religions SL

Biology HL

Mathematics HL

Theatre HL

I don't know German and Theatre is not my elective course for the arts this year. We don't have the humanities that you mentioned and my math teacher would never let me go to HL (plus, I don't want to).

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help :) I have decided on my courses, and they are:

History HL

Geography HL

Biology HL

English Literature SL

Chinese B SL

Math SL

I decided on English Literature at SL because it's fundamentally very similar to HL and the texts as well as skills learned would be similar to that of an HL class (according to the teacher). The only difference is probably that SL reads slightly less and the pace of the class is slower, however, I would still acquire the skills needed to do well in law etc. Thanks for all the help you guys!