Level 4 in HL Math

Ahrar Anwar

Currently I am a level 4 in HL Math though improving to be a level 5 soon. However I just wanted to ask whether a 4 in HL Math is as bad as the number says or is it average for HL Math? Also what would be the equivalent for a level 4 in SL Math? Would I get accepted into Canadian universities with a level 4?

Whether it is good or not should be dependent on you and where you set your standards. From a more practical perspective however, you need 24 points to be awarded your diploma, given that your HL subjects add to 12 points. I read on the IBO website that 4 meant satistfactory.

I wouldn't really concern myself with averages, but if you must know, you can find that in by searching something along the lines of "IB results 2011" online. And for Canadian universities, it depends on which program you are applying to. Some programs don't require math, some do. But the ones that do probably need at least a 5 for consideration. HL subjects can convert to universities credits as well, often if the final grade is a 5 or a 6.

• Like 1

Like Cap'n Marth said, you usually need at least a 5 in math HL if you're applying for something that requires math (like engineering, pure math, etc.) If if something artsy like political science or languages then they won't really care :P

If you're getting a 4 in math HL, then it's very likely that you'll do better in math SL, provided you put in the same amount of effort. You should get at least a 5 or 6. Maybe you'll even get a 7!

If you don't like and/or need math HL, drop it and take something easier! Math HL is pretty tough, you have to understand it well.

• 1 month later...

I have to disagree with krakaton. If you work your ass off for the rest of the time you can really push your math grade up. Math is one of those subjects where a lot of practice will really push you up. You'll have to find the right balance between previous exam papers and questions from the textbook while still juggling your other subjects around, but its possible if you work REALLY hard. It just depends on how badly you want to get that grade.

• Like 1

I have to disagree with krakaton. If you work your ass off for the rest of the time you can really push your math grade up. Math is one of those subjects where a lot of practice will really push you up. You'll have to find the right balance between previous exam papers and questions from the textbook while still juggling your other subjects around, but its possible if you work REALLY hard. It just depends on how badly you want to get that grade.

I believe that you misinterpreted me.

I said that if you spend your entire IB working your ass off you will do really great, but you can't manage a 6/7 by working in the last semester. :peace: