geographical setting of 'Chronicles of a Death Foretold'

Bhagyashree

I don't quite get your question, but you can look at the following things if you want to analyze it in terms of geography.

• Where and when the novel takes place. Don't just say Colombia but mention the small town. The news are quickly spread in such a small town, and that's one of the reasons for those people not doing anything because they are following the powerful people of the town (the mayor and Father Amador). This wouldn't be possible if they lived in a city, let's say.
  • What are the customs, traditions, and etc at that place and time period. For example: Angela's defloration and her brothers' reaction to that afterwards, i.e. their attempt to gain back her honor, hints a lot about their traditions at that time period.

Those are the first things that came into my mind as geographical aspects. I hope they help.

I don't quite get your question, but you can look at the following things if you want to analyze it in terms of geography.

• Where and when the novel takes place. Don't just say Colombia but mention the small town. The news are quickly spread in such a small town, and that's one of the reasons for those people not doing anything because they are following the powerful people of the town (the mayor and Father Amador). This wouldn't be possible if they lived in a city, let's say.
  • What are the customs, traditions, and etc at that place and time period. For example: Angela's defloration and her brothers' reaction to that afterwards, i.e. their attempt to gain back her honor, hints a lot about their traditions at that time period.

Those are the first things that came into my mind as geographical aspects. I hope they help.

hey first of all thanks about reply but when I present those points to my class they said "are you out of your mind ? Geography means flora and fona of latin america.......don't tell ous abt customs and traditions and people." Actually I do agree with you but they said it comes under sociology.

please do suggest something else.

Oh, I thought you meant the significance of the geographical location. That was my response based on. Sorry for misleading you. Um, I'm actually not familiar with South America and I cannot suggest anything else.

I'm just curious. What is the connection between the novel and the Latin American flora, etc? Because we've never considered that in class.

Oh, I thought you meant the significance of the geographical location. That was my response based on. Sorry for misleading you. Um, I'm actually not familiar with South America and I cannot suggest anything else.

I'm just curious. What is the connection between the novel and the Latin American flora, etc? Because we've never considered that in class.

Ok...geographical background of a place means geographical setting which authors chooses to add depth to the action with geographical elements such as rain,wind,open waters......which blends the author's writing. e.g " Perceptions of rain as reflective of perceptions of goodness/evil."

Well, when we analysed this book last year, we noted that all the characters seemed to have a different perception of the weather on the day of Santiago's death. i.e., "The weather was funereal" whereas others thought it to be lovely.

This reflects the inconsistency of the narrative as the author chose to use a chronolgy yet there are references to circular time.

• 2 months later...