Good ideas for CAS?

This is a small question... I've always been curious and hopefully you'll answer. How did you miss the CAS section and make it all the way down to 'About IBSurvival' to post your question? Just curious :yep:

Debating? Sport? You must have some ideas...

If you want to do something for me, you can dance with my cat or something... few action hours maybe?

that was a joke by the way, my cat only dances with me

work in an old home, swimm, joing sport clubs like football, volleyball, yoga, anything really.

Join school clubs, like cooking or art clubs.

I help students in maths during lunch, which coutns for CAS, for example.

You can volunteer at a hospital, or at YMCA clubs near your area....

walk somones dog .... there's loads.

It should be related to the professional area you'd like to follow (gives you a lot of personal experience and in other words University credits.

I'll give you an example,

I want to study medicine at UCL so i managed to create a project of volunteering at a Cancer Hospital. This gave me alot of personal experience an as well a first impact with the professional world.

Try something original and (the most important), do it yourself.

I planned this whole project myself, attended to meetings with the volunteers chief in the hospital, i also spoke with the Head of the hospital and asked some of my colleagues if they wanted to participate (they said yes) and this is all

Good luck

ahhaha i guess i missed the CAS section somehow, no big deal!

I read on one of the handbooks that my advisor gave me that i'm not allowed to do anything that may help me in my future studies and that such activities(like voulanteering at the hospital) wont be counted as CAS.. is that a load of crap? I was also told that tutoring younger students wont be counted as CAS :S

Thanks

ahhaha i guess i missed the CAS section somehow, no big deal!

Thanks for answering... if you stay on this site you'll probable see someone else do it to.

I read on one of the handbooks that my advisor gave me that i'm not allowed to do anything that may help me in my future studies and that such activities(like voulanteering at the hospital) wont be counted as CAS.. is that a load of crap?

To me it is a steaming pile of crap :yep: My friends volunteer at hospitals and it gets counted for CAS

I was also told that tutoring younger students wont be counted as CAS :S

Thanks

Even more crap. A student on here tutors people in french i think

However, this is due to what your supervisor feels like signing off. You'd have to talk to them

I have an impression that our CAS supervisors know each other - mine is also very picky and illogical when deciding whether sth is CAS or not. For example, helping a member of your family or a friend doesn't count as Service. So tutoring students you know won't count in my school!

It's no big deal though - if he doesn't play fair, nor do we. When writing reports, we usually add an extra hour here and there ;)

The best way to gain ideas (and also to prove that your supervisor is telling you crap) is to try and gain access to the CAS files from the previous years, or at least ask around the graduates, it was a huge help for me at least.

This is a small question... I've always been curious and hopefully you'll answer. How did you miss the CAS section and make it all the way down to 'About IBSurvival' to post your question? Just curious :yep:

Debating? Sport? You must have some ideas...

If you want to do something for me, you can dance with my cat or something... few action hours maybe?

that was a joke by the way, my cat only dances with me

It is already Moved to CAS. You can report it so Mods will pay attention to it.

For CAS you can do some volunteering or design, you can look to the following threads which includes many good ideas:

http://www.ibsurviva...cas-activities/

http://www.ibsurviva...9-creative-cas/

and there are many others in CAS forum.

I tutor a kid Polish/Maths and it counts as Service. :) I also am a member of Youth City Council (Service as well), take French lessons as Creativity, went to European Youth Parliament session (Creativity) + I'm going to attend MUN conference in March (Creativity as well) and I go to a gym for Action.

Sometimes CAS coordinators impose their own rules to CAS, I don't know how it works from IBO's point of view. At my school you can't count driving lessons as CAS, for example. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Look at what you're currently doing and see if you can apply that, or modify it so it can be easily applied. Martial arts are good because they're really fun and a belt system is a great set of goals for you to aim for and achieve. Also think about what you want do at university (if you're going) or what kind of jobs you want to pursue later, and see if you can land some regular work placement there, museums are great places to ask if you're considering history or sciences, and possibly libraries if you're thinking about doing literature