IB French level correspondence to DELF/DALF level?

collegian

Hello everyone. My question is: approximately what are the equivalencies between DELF/DALF levels and IB French levels? I would suspect that French A1 HL would be equivalent to DALF C2 of course, but what about the other French IB levels (i.e. French AB Initio SL, B SL, B HL, A2 SL, A2 HL, A1 SL, A1 HL)? What DELF/DALF levels would these correspond to (i.e. A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2)? Thanks for taking the time out to read my query (and hopefully answer it). ;)

Edited by collegian

I thought that French B SL would at least be at the DELF B2 level, if not DALF C1. Reason being, after IGCSE/(other equivalent qualifications) shouldn't you be able to at least sit the DELF B1? Hence, shouldn't you be able to take a higher DELF diploma (than B1) in French B SL seeing as though you would have an extra 1(anticipated)-2 years of more advanced classes and preparation (and even possibly immersion)? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are right but take into account that not everyone in the world takes IGCSE, and not necessarily all secondary certificates are equivalent. Also, although the IB expects language B students to have some previous knowledge on the language, the B SL papers and IA are too easy for someone who has learn the language for at least 3 years (including the 2 IB years). Thus, passing French B SL does not ensure you can pass a more rigorous exam as it is the DELF B2, and that's why in my perspective they are not equivalent.

Just to give you an example I've studied French for 4 years and I took the French B Hl papers and the DELF B2, and for me the DELF B2 was far more complicated, basically because it has a listening part, which I think the IB should include somehow XD

I said that French B SL is equivalent to a DELF B1, based on its level of difficulty and not on what B SL is supposed to be, which as you said is at least a DELF B2. I guess that's why there is no a real equivalency between the IB language levels and some certificates :P

Yes, according to the 2004 IB Language B guide "Listening skills are assessed through the ability to respond to and manipulate the

spoken language" and are internally assessed. This means that if you can appropriately respond to your teacher during your Oral Presentation, then you have enough listening skills for the IB. It sounds too basic, but I think it is true up to some point. I overheard my french teacher saying that for the new guide it will be a listening component, not sure though.

From 2012, Language A2 will no longer exist, now there will be:

- Language A: Literature (which is the equivalent to A1)

- Language A: Language & Literature (A2)

- Language A: Literature and Performance (A2)

(Not sure of the equivalence of the last one because my school doesn't offer it :P)

I'm not familiarized with the new Language A guide, so I can't tell you much :S But I don't think any of them include a listening assessment at all, because the IB assumes that it is either your mother tongue or a language that you've known for several years.

As to what IB French level should you take, you will be fine with B Hl, but if you think it is too easy you can always change to Lang & Lit. I think it depends on what career path do you want to follow. :D

I will try to answer from my personal experience :D

I'm taking French B HL, and I've already passed (successfully) both Delf B2 and Dalf C1 (It's my 4th year of learning French, actually).

So yeah, from what I've noticed, French B SL corresponds to ~Delf B1, but I'd say, B SL is a bit harder than B1.

B HL is somewhat similar to B2 (at least my teacher says so). But personally, I found B2 harder than French B HL. In B2 we are required to answer questions from texts (somewhat similar to Paper 1) by using our own words, questions require synthesis of sources and some "elevated" skills of French, i.e. more sophisticated vocabulary, etc.

Although I'm not taking French A2, I disagree with those who say that C1 ~ A2. Having a diploma of C1, I don't think I'm ready to analyse literary works in French, nor am I able to express myself entirely freely in French. :)