2 years of calculators or essays?

flinquinnster

Well, right now I'm trying to be the good daughter. I'm doing the Maths HL/Physics HL thing, or as my friends have dubbed it - "mental crazy suicide" (I get that quite often).

The problem is that I don't really like Maths that much. Honestly. I know that I'm quite capable of the HL course (and I like to think that my maths teacher thinks that too) But it does my head in, driving me slightly paranoid and/or passive-agressive. And I don't see too much point to it. Physics is something I like a lot, but I'm afraid I'm not that great at it. I look at things, I break things - not a good start. Engineering sounds cool, but I don't think I could do it in Uni, so there's not much point keeping Physics/Maths HL just to fulfil Uni requirements.

So ideally I would drop Maths. But I think I have a better chance to get a good mark in Maths HL than in Physics HL because of the teacher and classroom dynamics. Right now, I'm just hanging on in with the 2 HL's, and will probably drop mid-way next year. But I still don't know what to drop!

I could drop both Maths and Physics HL and go up to Geography HL. Leaving me with 3 essay-writing subjects. I like essays, I think I'm alright at writing them, but 3 subjects with essays! I shudder to think of the exam week. And History HL already feels a bit like a drag.

1. Do I drop Maths HL, Physics HL or both?

2. Is English HL, History HL, Geography HL a good idea if I get cramps when handwriting?

If you don't like the subject I advise you to drop it. Your enthusiasm for the subject is what should keep you sane through the IB. If you enjoy physics then you could probably still get a really good mark of you try your best.

Essay subjects ... everyone gets tired after writing loads. Building up endurance comes with time and eventually you'll be fine. My hand feels like running away from the rest of my body quite frequently but it gets easier

• Like 1

Agreed on the fact that eventually you can train your hand into stamina mode! The actual killer in exam week isn't the amount of writing (although it does make your hand a bit sore) - it's having a lot of memorising subjects! Studying 2 or more HL sciences, or 2 HL sciences plus a high-content subject like History = honestly one of the worst possible scenarios! :P In my opinion. It's impossible for the brain to hold that much information.

Anyway XD It sounds like a bit of a bind to me. Have you thought about what you want to do at University at all? If you're undecided, perhaps see what kinds of options your IB subjects would leave open to you. You don't want to limit your choices when you're not even certain of the route you want to go down.

As well as that, you'll want to aim for the highest IB mark possible (I assume). Maths HL is famously almost impossible to get a 7 unless you dedicate yourself to more or less nothing but Maths, which is hard to do unless you also really enjoy it. Physics HL is also hard, but its reputation is not as fierce. Regardless of classroom dynamic (ultimately your teacher & class can make it a bit easier to learn, but they're not the main determinants of your final grade unless the teacher is truly rubbish), what kinds of grades are you getting for them in proper IB-style tests?

How much would you have to catch up in Geography?

Basically, I don't think people here can answer it for you. However, you should ask yourself all these questions, because they'll help you decide. Work out what your priorities are - a high final mark, enjoying your IB years, finding subjects interesting, leaving your Uni options open... what? Usually people will have at least one of those that they don't want to sacrifice and, even though the answer is by no means clear-cut, once you've found out which criteria have that make-or-break power for you, you can make a better decision.

• Like 1

Well, it seems like the best thing to do is wait a few months before making a decision - and see how I go in proper tests and the effect of doing several months of physics/maths classes. I can easily catch up on Geography HL because HL content doesn't start until the end of the year. HL maths seems like it will keep more doors open, but if it takes up ALL my time, meaning that I have no life (already a given, I guess) or screw up my other subjects, I will probably change my mind. :dontgetit:

Well, you should try out Maths and Physics HL for a few weeks and see how well you cope. If you don't want to do both, I suggest dropping Physics HL and keeping Maths HL. Physics HL isn't very useful without Maths HL, engineering needs both at HL. Maths HL, however, is very useful and would open up other career paths (e.g. Economics). You could drop to Physics SL which will guarantee you a better grade and you would still take Physics, which opens up the possibility of engineering. Choosing Geography, would mean only 2 essay subjects. So, then you would have Maths HL, History HL and Geography HL, which is a good combination.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there :) I have confidence that you love a good challenge :) Therefore I think that you should continue physics HL because you enjoy it so much more than maths. Personally, I believe that what a student enjoys studying in, they will perform so much better in it. Drop maths to SL, then you won't have to put so much more effort into it and can use some of that left over effort for physics. Balance it out :) Also in regards to you getting a better mark in maths, you would probably get the same mark (7) in SL as well as HL anyway. Saves you from giving yourself a hate for maths for these next two. If you feel that you also have a passion for geography more than physics, then go for Geo HL. I believe that you should have 2 essay writing subjects and physics HL. Otherwise the second option would be to have all 3 essay writing subjects :)

:dance2: