Trading Economics SL for English B

Fani

Hey everyone!

My current program is:

HL - Modern Greek, History, German B

SL - Math, Economics and Biology

I'm thinking of changing Economics to English B, standard level.

I can speak pretty well English, my best friend is American, so we speak in English with each other, I don't think I will have a problem. The level is anyways pretty low in B languages.

My only concern is that I lost three months of the course (IB1 student) but I've read the book they studied (Lord of the Flies).

Please tell me what you think!

By the way, I want to study Politics in the US

I don't know, both subjects are really important, Economics if you want to study politics is integral to your knowledge, but if you want to study in the US you should be able to speak English at a good level... Personally I'd stick with Economics and study English outside of class, or just keep practicing by talking to your friends and reading.

I think you should just stick with Economics because the knowledge you'll gain from the subject will help you a lot in Politics. Economics teaches you a lot about how society functions and it'll be excellent preparation for Politics.

If you need to prove your English ability to universities, you can always take an open exam outside of school, like TOEFL or IELTS.

Guest Animistic Anaemia

I agree with most of the replies. Apart from what has already been said, I'd like to put emphasis on the fact that Economics gives you a lot of critical thinking that has appliances in each and every situation. It allows you to reflect on current stuff.

So, I'd personally change English B for German B. I don't think you'll need German. and plus, I question if German is an official language of IB...? because like, if you take Modern Greek and English B, you get a Bilingual Diplomma. I take Portuguese A and English B and will have a bilingual certificate so that's a plus for dropping German B.

And don't worry about the Lord of the Flies, it's pretty easy. There's actually a topic here about it aaannd you can always ask anything here in case you have doubts :)