IB Diploma Requirements

Ethan.wllms

Ok i totally have been blanking out this past week. How many points on the IB exams do you need to get the Diploma, like whats the minimum requirement. And i just realized that because of the system i'm in, the SL and HL courses are taught all together on alternating days over the next two years, is that a good thing in your opinion or will it hurt me in the long run? Any other opinions just throw them in there. Thanks :)

28 is minimum to get the diploma. You need at least a 0 on your EE+TOK. Below Zero is Fail...meaning no diploma even if all your other score total to 28+. Beleive me TOK and EE ARE important.

Oh and in MY opinion there is ABSOLUTELY NO use of the Certificate. Your better of in the US education system.

Edited by Guest

Sheesh....EVERY IB student knows that.

28 is minimum to get the diploma. You need at least a 0 on your EE+TOK. Below Zero is Fail...meaning no diploma even if all your other score total to 28+. Beleive me TOK and EE ARE important.

Oh and in MY opinion there is ABSOLUTELY NO use of the Certificate. Your better of in the US education system.

Here is the reason I asked, my teaches have told us that 23 is the minimum...so therefore I knew something was up. Thank you so much!!

As in all your SL classes on one day and then all your HL classes on another day? Whichever way it works out, that sounds a bit repetitive (I found it bad enough having each week repeating let alone every other day) but fine in my opinion. What's the alternative? XD

You need 24 points minimum but you also have to reach various other goals like completing TOK, EE and CAS, getting at least 12 points in total across your HL subjects and various other criteria besides the 24 overall point total. I can't recall them off the top of my head but if you search the forums they're definitely lurking around on a sticky somewhere.

you are wrong, it's merely a generalisation. you're a TOK student, you should've known why you shouldn't use the word 'every'. many people don't know, tbh even my class is not very well informed on this.

and, I think you also are not very well informed on that, as you didn't state the full requirement.

In order to receive an IB diploma, candidates must receive a minimum of 24 points or an average of four out of a possible seven points for six subjects. Candidates must also receive a minimum of 12 points from their Higher Level subjects and a minimum of 9 points from their Standard Level subjects. Additionally, candidates must complete all of the requirements for the EE, CAS and TOK. Failing conditions that will prevent a student from being awarded a diploma, regardless of points received, are non-completion of CAS, more than three scores of 3 or below, not meeting the specific points required for Higher Level or Standard Level subjects, or plagiarism.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB_Diploma_Programme

EDIT: can also be found here: http://www.ehow.com/info_8514817_ib-diploma-point-requirements.html

Edited by Desy Glau
  • Like 2

As in all your SL classes on one day and then all your HL classes on another day? Whichever way it works out, that sounds a bit repetitive (I found it bad enough having each week repeating let alone every other day) but fine in my opinion. What's the alternative? XD

You need 24 points minimum but you also have to reach various other goals like completing TOK, EE and CAS, getting at least 12 points in total across your HL subjects and various other criteria besides the 24 overall point total. I can't recall them off the top of my head but if you search the forums they're definitely lurking around on a sticky somewhere.

Like i have an A/B schedule

A-Day

English IB

Spanish IB

Biology IB

TOK

B-Day

Psychology IB

Math Studies IB

Piano (non-IB)

History of the Americas IB

and wtf...which is it 24 or 28??

and yeah well if it says anything...my scholl since my brother graduated IB in '07 there have only been like 6..maybe IB Diploma recipients, and they just barely got it. So therefore I am cringing at the thought of going to those exams although I am somewhat more intelligent than other class mates, from what teachers say( I don't think so), but regardless of intelligence I WILL BE ON THE SAME PATH AS THE OTHERS so it may hold me back a bit...

Like i have an A/B schedule

A-Day

English IB

Spanish IB

Biology IB

TOK

B-Day

Psychology IB

Math Studies IB

Piano (non-IB)

History of the Americas IB

That schedule does seem a bit boringly repetitive but otherwise I'd say it's fine. I mean, I had an A/B/C/D/E and repeat (so weekly, basically) timetable and that was fine. You have a similar thing only with eeeeven less variation, ahah.

And I'm not sure where you got 28 from, but 24 is definitely the minimum point total. Also, I'm not really sure why you have such low rates of people achieving the diploma. Everybody I know got the diploma unless they genuinely gave up, even people who really struggled academically. If you prepare using the syllabus and specifically prepare for the exams, 24 is fine. Getting over 38 or so is always hard, but 24 is definitely achievable. I would really make sure that you're in control of what you're learning and that you're definitely doing the stuff it says to do on the syllabus. It seems to me that it's only by failing to meet the syllabus goals and requirements that you could have such a high number of people bombing it, which indicates a problem with the teaching. Probably not teaching quality but quite possibly teachers who don't know how to teach specifically for the IB course.

Especially in the US it seems to me that schools are relatively at liberty to teach what they want and there's not much teaching-to-exams or following of syllabi. The IB is a very different culture, and I guess I'm lucky to live in a country where the national system is also a strictly syllabus led system so even the ****test of my teachers didn't get too confused.

Its pretty funny to see how there is people who are completely sure about the minimum total points needed to get a diploma, they even make generalisations. How come you say every IB student knows that and you get the answear wrong. Its 24 guys, many peiple in my school got that last year. Which really scares me, god dammit, sometimes I think about the possibility of me getting those grades, even though 24 is not BAD, its definetely not something I'd really enjoy getting. Besides achieving this score, you need to fulfil all CAS requirements, and achieve at least some Cs in EE and TOK. God, why is IB so complex? Tgfdhjhilhfishjeuiufnb!!! Its really nerve cracking.

• Like 1

^This is the most BS untrue statement I have read on the entire forum.

Most people have stated it but I will reiterate.

You need at least 12 points on your HL subjects. If not, you need to have scored at least 28 points total.

You need at least a pass an E and D on either your EE and TOK essay. And you need to fulfill your CAS requirements, with 18 months of commitment and CAS journals, project, reflections etc. If this is not met, you won't receive your diploma.

Given that you have at least 12 points on your HL subjects, you need at least 24 points in total from your 6 exams.

You need to do all your IA labs, World Literature assignment(s), math portfolios that are mandatory. If these are not completed, you won't receive the diploma.

EDIT:Reread the matrix...

Edited by Capt'n Marth
  • Like 1

Ok...well let me ask you something...BEFORE you get into the IB don't you bother to speak to your IB coordinator? Or even do SOME RESEARCH?

I find it VERY hard to believe that people aren't aware of IB's specifications.

Oh and I spoke to my coordinator. 28 IS the minimum to the diploma. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN 24.

Then again he MAY be wrong. Can anyone verify this in the IB OCC forum?

Ok...well let me ask you something...BEFORE you get into the IB don't you bother to speak to your IB coordinator? Or even do SOME RESEARCH?

Oh and I spoke to my coordinator. 28 IS the minimum to the diploma. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN 24.

Well, I knew about the specifications in grade 11 through looking things up. But it's still entirely possible. I guess people should know by now, but perhaps they were a bit ignorant. It's just his first few weeks in the program.

I was talking with respect to what you said after that...

It's definitely 24. And what I'm sure you weren't thinking about what you were typing when you said

You need at least a 0 on your EE+TOK.

What is a zero? That sounds like no points are rewarded at all. Also those aspects are marked by letter grades.

Well, I knew about the specifications in grade 11 through looking things up. But it's still entirely possible. I guess people should know by now, but perhaps they were a bit ignorant. It's just his first few weeks in the program.

I was talking with respect to what you said after that...

It's definitely 24. And what I'm sure you weren't thinking about what you were typing when you said

You need at least a 0 on your EE+TOK.

What is a zero? That sounds like no points are rewarded at all. Also those aspects are marked by letter grades.

Oh right that's one of the most hilarious parts about IB. Apparently the grade you can get on EE+TOK is a 3,2, or 0. Zero means your EE and TOK is ok and you can still get your diploma. BUT if your EE and TOK are pathetic then you get a grade below 0 which is FAIL. Thus no diploma.

I have seniors who got a 32 and a 0 in their EE+TOK. They got their diploma.

Okay, this is from Article 15: Award of the IB diploma from the General Regulations handbook ( which can be found here : http://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/DP/Group0/d_0_dpyyy_vmx_1009_1/pdf/DP_regs_e.pdf

15.1 All assessment components for each of the six subjects and the additional IB diploma requirements must

be completed in order to qualify for the award of the IB diploma, except under the conditions stipulated in

section VII “Special cases C: Incomplete assessment” of these general regulations.

15.2 The IB diploma will be awarded to a candidate whose total score is 24, 25, 26 or 27 points, provided all the

following requirements have been met.

a. Numeric grades have been awarded in all six subjects registered for the IB diploma.

b. All CAS requirements have been met.

c. Grades A (highest) to E (lowest) have been awarded for both theory of knowledge and an extended

essay, with a grade of at least D in one of them.

d. There is no grade 1 in any subject.

e. There is no grade 2 at higher level.

f. There is no more than one grade 2 at standard level.

g. Overall, there are no more than three grades 3 or below.

h. At least 12 points have been gained on higher level subjects (candidates who register for four higher

level subjects must gain at least 16 points at higher level).

i. At least 9 points have been gained on standard level subjects (candidates who register for two standard

level subjects must gain at least 6 points at standard level).

j. The final award committee has not judged the candidate to be guilty of malpractice.

15.3 The IB diploma will be awarded to a candidate whose total score is 28 points or above, provided all the following

requirements have been met.

a. Numeric grades have been awarded in all six subjects registered for the IB diploma.

b. All CAS requirements have been met.

c. Grades A (highest) to E (lowest) have been awarded for both theory of knowledge and an extended

essay, with a grade of at least D in one of them.

d. There is no grade 1 in any subject.

e. There is no more than one grade 2 at higher level.

f. There are no more than two grades 2 at standard level.

g. Overall, there are no more than three grades 3 or below.

h. At least 11 points have been gained on higher level subjects (candidates who register for four higher

level subjects must gain at least 14 points at higher level).

i At least 8 points have been gained on standard level subjects (candidates who register for two standard

level subjects must gain at least 5 points at standard level).

j. The final award committee has not judged the candidate to be guilty of malpractice.

15.4 A maximum of three examination sessions is allowed in which to satisfy the requirements for the award of the

IB diploma.

And from the text under the ToK/EE matrix, it says that an E in either of the two is a failing condition. However, if you have more than 28 points and an A in the other, then you can get your diploma.

Hope that helped :D

• Like 1