Advice to Quick Ways of Memorising Content

w0nemi

I know this is really silly, except for the years I've been doing psych, I haven't been revising, or listening in class.

Do you guys have an effective way to learn your psychology content?

+ I'm a visual learner, so I can't just sit at my desk for hours and just revise.

Edited by Emily Wong

I know this is really silly, except for the years I've been doing psych, I haven't been revising, or listening in class.

lol - but seriously, do something about this, if your teacher is boring you'll just have to learn the material on your own, my thoughts go out to you if your teacher manages to make psychology boring.

Do you guys have an effective way to learn your psychology content?

+ I'm a visual learner, so I can't just sit at my desk for hours and just revise.

Since you're a visual learner do your best to make all the experiments come alive. What I do during revision courses is use as many videos as possible so students can see the experiment or theory in action so they can create additional links of knowledge. For other experiments you want to remember you should always try and do the experiment yourself. If it's a LOP experiment then do a quick version of it yourself, come up with word lists and do maintenance rehearsal and then elaborative rehearsal and then test yourself. I believe there's no substitute for experience, if you do the experiment yourself you are much more likely to remember it cause you can relate the concrete experiment with the abstract concept/theory.

If you have an actual example experiment that you want ideas on how to remember, just let us know.

okay so i have few pointers to increase your short-term memory if you like. Im not taking psychology but here are a few pointers i use myself when i want to "cram"

-repetition

Repetition is an effective way to remember items or numbers for a short term. There is one important of repetition that must be adhered to – it must be the only thing that is being focused on. You should be able to recall the information longer if the list is repeated verbally.

-playing games to improve your memory

Playing certain games that have the ability to remove your memory is an effective way to improve the short term memory. Playing games allow the individual to learn to organize information within the brain and therefore can improve the short term memory of the individual

-Associate the memory with an image

Learning to associate the memory with an image is an effective way to increase the memory capabilities, especially of short term memory. Associating these images with the memory that must be recalled can help and serve as a reminder for the short term memory

-change your diet

There are certain vitamins and nutrients that are associated with increasing the capabilities of the short term memory. These changes in the diet include increasing the vitamin B that is being consumed, as well as the folate or folic acid. Taking supplements can assist in increasing the capabilities of the short term memory. Eating a diet that is rich in antioxidant foods and a diet that contains a healthy balance of vitamins and nutrients is one of the most effective ways to increase the potential of memory.

Not only can these supplements increase the capability of the short term memory but they can also reduce the chances that short term memory will be affected by factors like age.

hehe just what i've been told a alot! :blum:

-Get adequate amounts of sleep

Sleep is an essential part of memory and of maintaining the health of the memory and the brain. Getting seven to nine hours of sleep per night is an essential part of resting the brain and allowing for the best possible way to retain information that has been committed to the memory.

Sleeping is an effective way to ensure that all of the cells within the body are healthy – especially the cells of the brain that are important in the development and retention of memories, long and short term.

• Like 2

One thing I find helpful is using flash cards. If you're a visual learner, you can even add pictures to them to help you remember stuff, and by using flash cards it really gets you involved instead of just reading notes, and the repetition eventually helps you memorize more. It's also easier to play games with flash cards.

In fact theres even software on the internet to help you make flashcards if you don't want to use paper. I use Anki, but I'm not sure if you can add pictures to that. Do a google search, I think one should pop up.

Repeatedly writing them down, drawing pictures for them, reading them in your head AND saying them out loud will help you get the most benefit from it, because you will have visual (drawings, reading) physical (writing) and audio (saying) association. I understand you are a visual learner but I have found that combining all types of learning helps me the most.

Good luck! :D

Edited by Sarabunny

I do funky posters too. and i make my notes really colourful with diagrams and pictures and stuffy and laminate them

Yeah, that sounds like a really good idea! I was going to make notes up onto one page and laminate them. I was going to stick them in the shower (LOL), have you ever tried that before? Cus you seem to be really creative with the way you remember stuff :)

One thing I find helpful is using flash cards. If you're a visual learner, you can even add pictures to them to help you remember stuff, and by using flash cards it really gets you involved instead of just reading notes, and the repetition eventually helps you memorize more. It's also easier to play games with flash cards.

In fact theres even software on the internet to help you make flashcards if you don't want to use paper. I use Anki, but I'm not sure if you can add pictures to that. Do a google search, I think one should pop up.

I've heard how flashcards can help a lot, and I was going to write up flashcards too but when it comes to writing up notes for me, I can never decide on what/how to write it up. Compiling notes is not my forte :bawling: my notes from class are using really crappy so I usually end up with a whole load of irrelevant things (in relation to the topic) on my page. And I don't want to write all these things on my flashcards that I won't need.

How do you normally write your flashcards?

I've heard how flashcards can help a lot, and I was going to write up flashcards too but when it comes to writing up notes for me, I can never decide on what/how to write it up. Compiling notes is not my forte :bawling: my notes from class are using really crappy so I usually end up with a whole load of irrelevant things (in relation to the topic) on my page. And I don't want to write all these things on my flashcards that I won't need.

How do you normally write your flashcards?

I don't actually write them down, I like to use the software called Anki, it's a flash card program that I actually learnt about when I came here on IBS :) Also my flash cards don't usually contain pictures because I don't need them.

However it depends on the subject. For example, for French it would probably be Vocab, Grammar Rules, and Verb Conjugations. Whereas for Chemistry, it would probably be things such as the structures of different compounds, nomenclature, etc.

I've never taken Psych, so I don't exactly know about the course content. However, you may want to write down definitions of terms, answers to questions that are frequently covered in class, etc. I don't know what else, but if you know the syllabus, then just write down whatever you need to.

It's true that it can be hard to make notes, especially if the ones you take in class aren't good. I think one thing that would be useful would be to write down possible test questions and answers (for example, what your teacher may test you on) and try and look for hard facts that you know are going to be included in your tests (such as the definitions I mentioned earlier).

If you want more memorization techniques, just message me.

• Like 2