Basic questions about Bio SL. I need experts here!

soong

Hello. I'm a rising Junior, and I want to ask some "bio-freaks" a few questions :D

1) Will the Bio SL IA topic be given by the IB HQ or the teacher or is it our choice?

2) How do you exactly study bio? Just plain memorization?

3) What should I do to make sure I can get A on Bio and 6 or 7 on the IB exam?

Thanks in advance.

Hello. I'm a rising Junior, and I want to ask some "bio-freaks" a few questions :D

1) Will the Bio SL IA topic be given by the IB HQ or the teacher or is it our choice?

Thanks in advance.

1) Ask your teacher how she plans on doing it.

2) Notecards, memorize, study, go over things several times.

3) See #2. And do practice exams. DO THEM, it is crucial to understand the structure of the exams and make sure you are comfortable with them and understand how you can use the test itself to help you.

• Like 1

Hey there, i completely agree with Drake.

I think that you should also make sure you actually understand whats going on in class, and pay attention. If you pay attention in class, studying should be a breeze because you'll recall what your teacher was saying while studying, even whist you're in the exam. Well, thats what i do. Knowing the concepts and applying your knowledge is also a must to do well in bio. Oh and Bio IAs are your practicals, just make sure you do each write up well and keep it organised. Your teacher picks out the experiments/design pracs which you will do. Then from those (if requested from the IBO) 3 of your best pracs will go for marking.

Don't worry, you'll be just alright:) X

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks in advance.

1. As I understand (or at least as we did it in my school), our teacher took us to the lab to do some labs and we wrote reports on some of them for DCP/CE (Data Collection and Processing/Conclusion and Evaluation), and she gave us topics to do some Design labs.
  2. What is really important is that you learn to draw all the structures that you study (cells, DNA strands, heart, reproductive organs, etc). That way you can compliment with all the data and relate them. I find it easier to study that way. And you will also have to learn many things by memory.
  3. You should focus on getting high marks in Paper 1, which is multiple choices and should be relatively easy. In Paper 2 do first Section B, as it has the most points and will take you some time. I haven't taken Mocks on Paper 3, but I think it is somehow similar to Paper 2. In you IA, remember to explain everything you can about the variables you are using (independent, dependent, control of variables), focus on making an analysis that makes reference to what you have put in your data gathering. Quantitative data is important, but you mustn't forget to put also qualitative data (external conditions, factors that could affect the normal conditions of the experiment, etc). Always think on possible mistakes or erros in the experiment and also think on ways that you could improve it. If you measured the photosynthesis of plants, perhaps you can suggest that more species should be measured to have more reliable data, or that certain variables should have been controlled. The same you Group 4 Project. Also, don't try to be too deep, especially in Paper 2 Section A. We all know that the IB teachers us to analyse and look beyond what's obvious, but remember that sometimes the answer is in front of us, and that over interpreting might take away some points. First try to look at the simplest possibility, as it may be the right answer. Finally, ask your teacher as much as you can, tell them to explain things you don't understand, ask for further books to research, etc.

One final suggestion:

Just enjoy it and learn for the sake of it. Think of it as an adventure; that may be hard as you approach your IA deadlines and the exams, but even then try to relax and take your time to think clearly. To get your Diploma you need to be cool and think clear, not the opposite.

(Some suggestions in here might as well work for other courses)

Thanks in advance.

1) You do a bunch of labs and then choose your best ones.

2) No No No No! You need MORE than memorization. Some topics are okay just to memorize and be done with, but others especially will need more. Memorize, and you get a 5, a teacher in my school used to say. Try and genuinely understand what you learn!

3) Keep organised notes. Study regularly, and try hard on labs. And nearing the end, do plenty of pastpapers - nothing like them to boost your confidence and get you psyched for the exam.

Good luck, don't worry too much, you'll be fine! :)

I'm in HL Biology. Honestly, you have to have the time, the patience, and the willpower to want to do good. I am the type to do things as best I can. To really get a 6 or 7 on your exam you have to have genuine interest in the subject. Go over and over your notes, read, re-do the diagrams. Ask questions, and keep adding notes that you think will help you. If your teacher is good, and she's been doing it for a few years she will try to prepare you guys with the core syllabus but than go above and outta reach a bit with extra information she thinks might be helpful.

I love biology and I'm just hoping to get a 5 :) Just do your best, and you'll feel rewarded

Thanks in advance.

1) I think it differs from school to school, I agree with Drake, you should ask your teacher.

2) Get used to writing. Also make sure you are good at remembering exactly what IB wants. The exams can be long, so don't be obsessed with getting every word right. You have to make your answers short and to the point. Also, try using something that would help you study, such as flashcards. I would recommend Anki, found here.

3) Diligence, you can't slack off. Sure, some people may say that Bio SL is one of the easier subjects, but you can't afford to slack off in IB.

Bio-freak..nice applies pretty well.

The teacher gives you a general topic and you choose the Research Question, but some do let you choose the topic.

Nope Bio is not not plain memorization, it's understanding.then memorizing. You have to understand processes, and how things work in order to be well prepared. That's my opinion anyway.

I could re-list all the things I tell people, but that's a bit pointless so here's the link: How to do well in Biology.

Also, you can go up from a 5 to a 6, or from a 6 to a 7 in the final exam if you ace your IAs, I made a mistake of not giving them too much attention and concentrating on the theory part most of the time, so here's what you can do: How to write a good bio IA.

• 5 weeks later...

I AM straight A+ bio student I was taking AP in regular school and in ib I am taking HL bio. I think people are stupid who thinks bio is just memorization! It is a big fat lie! Use your brain and underhand how life goes on who you biologically are! Bio is everything around you! Just open a book open your braIn and UNDERSTAND ! Sincierly no need to memorization!