Costs of Canadian Universities?

ibibib1022

Hi, as per recommendation by my EE mentor, I was researching for my EE and I ended up procrastinating :D

So I decided to do some useful procrastination and research universities to finalize what I am going to do with my life after IB :D and I'm very confused about tuition, cost of living, etc. in universities. I'm thinking of Rotman Commerce, Schulich, or Western/AEO (Western pre-Ivey status thing :$)I've been reading their sites, but, as expected, they are not very straightforward (or so I think...) and I have no idea how much it will cost. I've been getting figures from $5000 to $30 000 per year in undergrad, which is very broad and overall unhelpful :S

I was also wondering which universities are better, in terms of work environment, alumni networking (and if this matters in undergrad if I'm going to grad school after), education, etc.

Anyone care to help? Thank youuu :D

• 11 months later...

The tuition fees for Canadian students are usually around $5,000-$7,000. The $30,000 you are referring to is most likely the cost of tuition fees for international students or the cost for the full year including everything. I've heard that you should expect to pay somewhere between $15,000-$20,000 per year for everything (fees, aditional fees, books, residences, meals, trips home, all that stuff!) so $30,000 seems a bit much to me, though I'm sure it's possible. Some cities are more expensive to live in than others, so that's another thing to think about if you're considering off-campus apartments.

From what I've heard, most grad schools don't really mind where you did your undergraduate degree, although going to a well known university wouldn't hurt you (as long as you have good grades). Think about whether you want a large university or a smaller one, as there are pros and cons of both. In terms of work environment, some schools are known for being "more studious" than others, however, that doesn't mean you can't find a good environment at other universities. U of T is meant to have a very strong work environment from what I've heard.

My friends from Vancouver are going to uOttawa, and it's under $20k per year, everything included.

Tuition alone is $5-6k per university afaik, UBC for example is $5.5k for the most part ; after that though you still have about $500-1000 worth of text books.