Chemistry HL Paper 3 - TZ2

suggaplum

I did Medicine and Drugs too. I didn't like it!! There was nothing on analgesics, antacids, antibacterial, antiviral... Almost none of the SL stuff were in this paper.

And some of the questions, like the placebo drugs one... I didn't know what to write for three marks! Same thing with therapeutic window... I just explained the ratio LD50:ED50 but that's it :S

And what was the answer of the combinatorial chemistry question? Was it the thing about attaching resin beads to compounds and the "mix and split" process?

Anyways, my second option, Further Organic Chemistry was 1874867 times easier! But it was a lot of memorizing... Oh well. I really hope I got at least 40 in this paper :S

I did Medicine and Drugs too. I didn't like it!! There was nothing on analgesics, antacids, antibacterial, antiviral... Almost none of the SL stuff were in this paper.

And some of the questions, like the placebo drugs one... I didn't know what to write for three marks! Same thing with therapeutic window... I just explained the ratio LD50:ED50 but that's it :S

And what was the answer of the combinatorial chemistry question? Was it the thing about attaching resin beads to compounds and the "mix and split" process?

Anyways, my second option, Further Organic Chemistry was 1874867 times easier! But it was a lot of memorizing... Oh well. I really hope I got at least 40 in this paper :S

Completely agree! The placebo drugs one is like huuuh? What are they used for in a clinical trial? XD I mean, how is that worth 3 marks just on its own. Oh, I guessed the question where it wanted you to state one advantage of solid-phase chemistry. I was like O.o, its either cheaper, faster or more accurate.. yeah, I'll just choose one!

Completely agree! The placebo drugs one is like huuuh? What are they used for in a clinical trial? XD I mean, how is that worth 3 marks just on its own. Oh, I guessed the question where it wanted you to state one advantage of solid-phase chemistry. I was like O.o, its either cheaper, faster or more accurate.. yeah, I'll just choose one!

Hahaha I said faster... I'm really disappointed! I was so counting on paper 3 :(

But yeah it's too late there's nothing we can do about it now haha

What was your other option?

Hahaha I said faster... I'm really disappointed! I was so counting on paper 3 :(

But yeah it's too late there's nothing we can do about it now haha

What was your other option?

Human Biochemistry. My teacher taught Further Organic as an option, but since I do biology as well, I thought i'd just do human biochemistry instead. I heard from my classmates that the further organic was much easier than they expected, especially how there weren't any acid-base reaction things. Haha, I saw that there were also some core bits in the beginning as well!

I chose faster as well, I sat there for around 45 minutes choosing which one to write XD

Human Biochemistry. My teacher taught Further Organic as an option, but since I do biology as well, I thought i'd just do human biochemistry instead. I heard from my classmates that the further organic was much easier than they expected, especially how there weren't any acid-base reaction things. Haha, I saw that there were also some core bits in the beginning as well!

I chose faster as well, I sat there for around 45 minutes choosing which one to write XD

Hahaha yeah I was so happy there was no acid/base stuff!

I was going to choose Human Biochem but it actually didn't look that easy. How did it go?

I did Analytical and medicine, and I thought they were fine. Much easier than the May 2010 (mock)! But yeah, I also guessed the solid-phase one:) And I suspect wrongly too:) I think I said it allowed the reaction to be more controlled, as it was adsorbed onto a solid surface - complete BS!

Anyone else do analytical?

I did Option A and G. Analytical and Further Organic. I think it wasnt very bad (Option A) although I forgot most of what I had memorised for Option G. Disaster!!

Option G was not that bad! I just didn't remember what was the major product of the electrophilic addition of IBr (or was it ICl? doesn't matter I think I got it wrong anyways :P)

I did Option A and G. Analytical and Further Organic. I think it wasnt very bad (Option A) although I forgot most of what I had memorised for Option G. Disaster!!

Option G was not that bad! I just didn't remember what was the major product of the electrophilic addition of IBr (or was it ICl? doesn't matter I think I got it wrong anyways :P)

It was electrophillic addition of ICl....I remembered that because in Paper 1 they asked us for the different ligands...lol

I did pretty well in my Chemistry IA, So, I hope my grade doesnt get f'ed up...because of P2 & P3

Environmental people: did anyone get the Ksp question right?? I never even imagined it would come :(

I was disappointed by the ****loads of soil/water questions. Nothing on global warming or ozone depletion :(.

Ksp i'm not sure i did right. I basically wrote Ksp = [Ag] [Cl], inserted values and solved for [Cl]. Same for the other one. I have no clue if this is right. Anyone knows?

I did human biochemistry since I take biology at HL as well and medicine and drugs and the first look at the test was scare but it did go pretty well :) easiest paper in chemistry for sure :) just have SL but I managed the fatty acid stuff and amino acids as well :) however I never thought that the theropethic window would come =( only stuff I havnt study so much =/ but knew all the functional group differences and so on hehe :)

Medicins and drugs was pretty straight-forward and standard, I'd say.

However, environmental chemistry... Already during the reading time I realized that "oh ****, this is not gonna end up well." Too many questions on soils and this ionic constant... Ugh. My teacher advised us to study by using the QB and past papers, but this time it didn't help. Many new question types. Also the reverse osmosis + distillation question... I don't think I had enough for 5 five marks. What did you guys write down?

Was kinda hoping for a 7 after paper 1 & 2, but now... ehhh... We'll see!

How high marks did you get from IAs?

Environmental people: did anyone get the Ksp question right?? I never even imagined it would come :(

I was disappointed by the ****loads of soil/water questions. Nothing on global warming or ozone depletion :(.

Ksp i'm not sure i did right. I basically wrote Ksp = [Ag] [Cl], inserted values and solved for [Cl]. Same for the other one. I have no clue if this is right. Anyone knows?

I know right?? I had memorised like hundreds of equations for environment and especially for industry...blast furnace..aluminum...and all the **** but it didn't come. I was so disappointed :angry: