Math HL paper 3

jezze

Well I don't know if it was the ridiculous amount of studying that I put in for paper 3 (stat and prob TZ2) or just that the paper was pretty straight forward, because I essentially managed to answer everything excluding the last question, which I didn't think about properly because I was intimidated by the idea of simplifying combinations and logarithms at the same time (probably not that hard). But I think P3 definitely raises my math overall grade possibly even to a 5 (in conjunction with my IA), but I'm pretty sure I've got at least a four.

Just happy it's over 8-) We find out in July then...

Edited by ocfx

So how were the options?

Sets, relations and groups was ridiculously easy compared to some other years - no difficult proofs, even a question on set difference. Hope the grade boundaries are not too high...

I agree completely! It must have been amongst the easiest paper 3s. I managed to finish everything :) so really hoping this paper can make up for paper 1 and 2(not that I did horrendous on those)

Stat and Prob was okay. Not hard but weird. The questions are not the type I usually see in past paper. But once I got what they were asking for, it's kinda straight forward.

Really? I thought questions 1, 2 and 3 were quite generic... Question 5 was actually maths like though, which is not really seen in past papers with all the ln stuff and the algebraic manipulation

Stat and Prob was okay. Not hard but weird. The questions are not the type I usually see in past paper. But once I got what they were asking for, it's kinda straight forward.

Really? I thought questions 1, 2 and 3 were quite generic... Question 5 was actually maths like though, which is not really seen in past papers with all the ln stuff and the algebraic manipulation

It wasn't a difficult paper but yes i though the last question was very strange! It had nothing to do with probability, you just copy the equation and the rest was calculus!!

I panicked and I left part of the question unanswered :'(

The rest was good though

It wasn't a difficult paper but yes i though the last question was very strange! It had nothing to do with probability, you just copy the equation and the rest was calculus!!

The rest was good though

I could not do question 4 cus I completely forgot that the mean and variance is the same in a Poisson distribution. I thought the last question was quite okay though, as long as you are good with algebraic manipulation. At first it kinna scared me, but it wasn't that bad. A lotta people didn't get to do the last part of the last question.. including me :S I just hope I can get a 7 overall, despite my absolutely horrible paper 1...

The rest was good though

I could not do question 4 cus I completely forgot that the mean and variance is the same in a Poisson distribution. I thought the last question was quite okay though, as long as you are good with algebraic manipulation. At first it kinna scared me, but it wasn't that bad. A lotta people didn't get to do the last part of the last question.. including me :S I just hope I can get a 7 overall, despite my absolutely horrible paper 1...

I did quite terrible on paper 1 too! Many people I know didn't think it was so difficult so I though I was screwed but I really think it was a very TOUGH paper & hopefully the boundaries will be low!I did waay better in paper 2 and okay in paper 3 so I'm hoping for the 7 too!

U really can never know with math HL, the boudaries can change quite drastically so there is always hope :)

Stats was definitely different than past years. While I did good (+50), I know most of my friends didn't. I think the main questions people had trouble with were the last part of question 3 (where they asked for T Confidence Level), question 4 (although it was straight forward), and question 5 (barely related to the chapter lol).

The rest was good though

I did quite terrible on paper 1 too! Many people I know didn't think it was so difficult so I though I was screwed but I really think it was a very TOUGH paper & hopefully the boundaries will be low!I did waay better in paper 2 and okay in paper 3 so I'm hoping for the 7 too!

U really can never know with math HL, the boudaries can change quite drastically so there is always hope :)

Question 5 was like more of a paper 2 question I thought. I had to find intersection of two functions in order to get the answer, which is REALLY weird.

@Nishad, yeah, I got 96.6% :D And in the beginning of question 4 (part a), they tell you to use the significant level of 1%. But that's a whole other story - that's a one tailed test.

Part b was pretty easy, just not conventional. First, you find the difference between the 2 values they give in the confidence interval. This is equal to 2tSn-1/rad(n), and you have everything except "t", so obviously you find "t" from this. After you get that value of "t", you should recognize that the CI is 2 tailed and do "tcdf" on the calculator from "-t" to "+t", and degrees of freedom 9. It ends up being like 0.965... and I remember I rounded the 3rd significant digit up.

It's right BTW, I was able to check using GDC (I performed T-Interval) :D

BTW, JayC, for part B in question 5, the answer is 6, correct? You try to find the value of Y which gives the highest probability in the NB distribution, and thus, you look for the integer value of Y which yields the value closest to 0 in f'(x)/f(x) (function is at max when derivative=0).

@Nishad, yeah, I got 96.6% :D And in the beginning of question 4 (part a), they tell you to use the significant level of 1%. But that's a whole other story - that's a one tailed test.

Part b was pretty easy, just not conventional. First, you find the difference between the 2 values they give in the confidence interval. This is equal to 2tSn-1/rad(n), and you have everything except "t", so obviously you find "t" from this. After you get that value of "t", you should recognize that the CI is 2 tailed and do "tcdf" on the calculator from "-t" to "+t", and degrees of freedom 9. It ends up being like 0.965... and I remember I rounded the 3rd significant digit up.

It's right BTW, I was able to check using GDC (I performed T-Interval) :D

BTW, JayC, for part B in question 5, the answer is 6, correct? You try to find the value of Y which gives the highest probability in the NB distribution, and thus, you look for the integer value of Y which yields the value closest to 0 in f'(x)/f(x) (function is at max when derivative=0).

Are you sure that it was 96.5%? Wow! I am so relieved!!! I did this Q. in a slightly diff style though. Can you confirm that the value of t was something like 2.42? I got 96.5% using this t-value and 9 degrees of freedom. And I can confirm that for part B in Q.6 "6" was the correct answer! I did this question using two methods in the exam hall. One by setting the derivative=0. And then I got bored, so I used the tables in my GDC and got the same answer again (max probability at Y=6). :D

I am still doubtful about Q.4 (The one whose part b was on Type II errors). They had given 2 critical regions, so it obviously was a two tailed test, no? And they had asked to find the SL for this interval. I got the CL as 99% and SL thus as 1%. Used mean=variance for Poisson Dist...