Going into French SL with one year of experience?

Yes. I think you´ll do fine. I did spanish B HL with 5 years of previous experience. With this experience I could have gone to Spanish A2 HL but I´m a lazy bugger. My friend took German B SL with no previous experience and got 5. So you can ace it! best of luck! :)

• Like 1

Guest Soiboist

Two years of previous experience is recommended by the IBO, according to the syllabus, but you would probably be fine if you're motivated and work for it. How is your current level of French? Are you able to write a text without using a dictionary continuously for instance?

It's cool, I'm doing French B SL with only a year and a half of pre-IB experience, and I expect a 6-7 final result. The IA orals are easy, you only have to understand and speak basic French, Paper 1 is pathetically easy and the essay on Paper 2 is something you can definitely learn within the 2 years in IB.

And in the end, after these 6 or something hours of French weekly, you can really communicate in that language, I suppose it's much more useful to take French than another useless Group 3/4 subject which was the choice I had (I take French as my Group 6 subject).

Paper 1 really is easy, as well as the orals. But, Paper 2 does require good vocabulary and general ability in French, but by then you will have done 3 years so I'd say you could get a 6. A 7 might be difficult though with such little experience. I'm doing French B HL and I'm fluent and still I only get like around 95% on average so don't be too lenient about it ;)