Math Studies IA

vajra

Ok, so I'm supposed to spend 100 hours on my Math IA!

I found something interesting to do it on: "Is it possible to determine an author by mathematically analysing his or her texts?" BUT I have no clue how to use math to find out that x is Mark Twain and y is Shakespeare. The calculation used is called "stylometry" or wordprint analysis. Does anybody know how to do this, a website that tells me how to do this (in simple terms, for a creative person to understand), or could someone at least tell me what my variables would be?

Thanks a million for any contribution.

Whaaaaat?! 100 hours on an IA?! That is an insanely long amount of time and also unnecessary. My math IAs took about 10-15 hours each.

I don't know if your topic is appropriate but please don't spend 100 hours on your math IA :P

As much as I hate to say it. The instructions clearly state ): "You should spend at least 100 hours working on the project worth 20% of the IB grade." Its for math studies, the math SL IAs are different.

• 1 month later...

One of the biggest things of scoring well on a Math studies I.A. is showing that you can use the math and use it well.

It seems like the project you have now is too complicated, if you can't do the math correctly your in trouble.

That's why it is advised you pick a topic that deals with one of the 8-topics, in most cases students will pick a stats project.

This way you have mastered how to use the math and use it in a way that supports your analysis. The teacher doesn't want to see some new fancy math, but a proficiency of what you already know.

Edited by goTiffany