Math HL: Am I going to miserably fail?

Donald123

I am too ****ed and tired for this thing now. Doing it since months and I honestly cant understand this stupid HL. I should have taken those other fake classes like bio.. at least i could have passed by drawing a flower

I got a 6 in my Math HL IA including the type I and II portfolio (30/40)

Do you think that I can possibly get a 3 in math with:

1. The two amazing portfolios I have

2. A bad paper 1 and a mediocre paper 2

3. Good paper 3

I think that am gonna fail paper 2, thats for sure

but i could just pass paper 1 and i think that i can do a satisfactory job in paper 3.

GUYS, sorry for bothering you, but WILL I PASS MATH HL with the above possibilities?

exam in 4 days by the way

:(

Edited by Summer Glau
no text speak =)

Nobody can tell you for sure. HL Maths is very, very hard. However, if you've got good IA marks (and you have) they're worth quite a decent percentage of the overall grade so you can use that as a sort-of safety net. IAs do make a difference of about 0.5-1 grade on average, I'd say, if you've managed to turn out some good ones.

To be honest, speculating on how well or not you're going to do in HL Maths is at this point a waste of time and it's not going to make you do better or revise better if you feel like you're doomed in advance, quite the opposite. If you work really hard and make sure that the bits you do understand you can do to the best of your ability, there's no reason why you shouldn't be capable of a 3 or perhaps better - but of course, nobody can say for sure. You just have to try your utmost and see how it all plays out. Do past papers and work through things, who knows, it might come up. Alta petens etc.

Best of luck. You'll probably need it, and you never know, a 3 or more might be on the cards.

• Like 2

Nobody can tell you for sure. HL Maths is very, very hard. However, if you've got good IA marks (and you have) they're worth quite a decent percentage of the overall grade so you can use that as a sort-of safety net. IAs do make a difference of about 0.5-1 grade on average, I'd say, if you've managed to turn out some good ones.

To be honest, speculating on how well or not you're going to do in HL Maths is at this point a waste of time and it's not going to make you do better or revise better if you feel like you're doomed in advance, quite the opposite. If you work really hard and make sure that the bits you do understand you can do to the best of your ability, there's no reason why you shouldn't be capable of a 3 - of course, nobody can say for sure. You just have to try your utmost and see how it all plays out. Alta petens etc.

Best of luck. You'll probably need it, and yes you may well pass!

Aw Thanks man.

The thing I am worried about and I dont know if you might know how to answer this

BUt, if you fail, say paper 2, do I fail the subject?

I think I will have to repeat a whole year just because of math. I am so good at all the other subjects but Math is going to bring me down. You are spot on mate, I am doomed and the worst part is that I know that and hence I have lost all my self confidence and I am feeling that I am gonna go completely blank on d day.

Are you also sitting for the may 2011 exams?

cheers ;)

• Like 1

To be honest, speculating on how well or not you're going to do in HL Maths is at this point a waste of time and it's not going to make you do better or revise better if you feel like you're doomed in advance, quite the opposite. If you work really hard and make sure that the bits you do understand you can do to the best of your ability, there's no reason why you shouldn't be capable of a 3 - of course, nobody can say for sure. You just have to try your utmost and see how it all plays out. Alta petens etc.

Best of luck. You'll probably need it, and yes you may well pass!

Aw Thanks man.

The thing I am worried about and I dont know if you might know how to answer this

BUt, if you fail, say paper 2, do I fail the subject?

I think I will have to repeat a whole year just because of math. I am so good at all the other subjects but Math is going to bring me down. You are spot on mate, I am doomed and the worst part is that I know that and hence I have lost all my self confidence and I am feeling that I am gonna go completely blank on d day.

Are you also sitting for the may 2011 exams?

cheers ;)

It depends. If you can at least solve a few questions on paper 2 you shouldn't fail math HL based solely on that paper. Even if they're not completely right, they can give you method marks for selecting an appropriate method, reasoning correctly, etc. You'll be surprised by what the examiners give you marks for sometimes :P So when you do questions, show all the steps you can. You also have good IA marks so that can help your overall grade, as Sandwich said.

Sorry to be a bit blunt but you have to get yourself together. The fact that you're going the fail math HL isn't set in stone. You still have a bit of time left. Try to do as many past paper questions as you can. If you get stuck on a particular concept, consult your textbook. Practice the areas you don't understand, more practice will help you understand more and more. At the very least, make sure you understand at least a few concepts well. Math isn't easy but you can do alright if you practice as much as possible.

:gluck:

I agree with Sandwich. At this point, when there's just days till the exam, the best thing to do is to keep doing past paper questions and hope for the best. Exams tend to go better than people expect, and you have a very good IA score.

I see a lot of people suggesting me to do past papers. It is a good idea but I have my own way of studying.

I am going over the concepts in the text book and simultaneously solving the review sets and basically just reading all the chapters again.

Isn't it a better way to understand some of the concepts rather than spending a lot of time on knowing the questions that will be on the papers.

If any of you who have an year for the exams, take my advice, and READ at least 2 pages everyday. If you spend an hour on math everyday, I guarantee that you'll get a 7.

I am so not proud of myself for not dedicating a lot of time to Math. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Guest IBkidd

Ok, firstly calm down.

whats done is done, theres no point in thinking bout it. move on. i just failed maths paper 1 hl, and i've got like biology hl in 2 hours!!!

but i HAD to answer u! cuz i FEEL U ! :D

i feel so sick and lost motivation, but my teacher and friends told me, dont give up in half time .... concentrate on winning the second half.

and also, all american rejects : move along! move along, like know u do ;), move along just to make it through (even if ur hope is gone)

u can do it ;)

dont worry too much and focus on the next stuff. and nope, u wont fail.

try to GRASP the concepts and immediately apply them on some problems, so that way u can make sure that u at least know how to do THAT ;)

gud luck....i gotta goo biology :P

x

• 4 weeks later...