SAT: Critical Reading Section

bomaha

I want to get a good score at SAT I, as I'm planning to apply at U.S top universities.

I have a problem at the critical reading section. I tried some practice tests, and I always get 30-40 %. Is there any books that can help me in the critical reading section? I need to improve my vocabulary. I need some good advice.

Please reply soon and thanks for your help.

there are SAT study books that you can buy, just google it.

you could also just look through dictionaries and things to broaden your vocabulary.

good luck!

I bought some SAT books, but none of them really helped me in the SAT critical reading section

Thanks

Oh god I hated the CR section. If you're not that great at English, you won't do well, sorry. It's a pretty biased test. That being said, get tonnes of practice tests, and practice and practice and practice. After each test, find specifically what you're having trouble on and focus on that. For example, if its vocab, start learning some vocab - Google Top 100 SAT Words.

Oh god I hated the CR section. If you're not that great at English, you won't do well, sorry. It's a pretty biased test. That being said, get tonnes of practice tests, and practice and practice and practice. After each test, find specifically what you're having trouble on and focus on that. For example, if its vocab, start learning some vocab - Google Top 100 SAT Words.

Yes you're right. It is a biased test, cause they require it even if you're not good at English. How can I get tonnes of practice tests? Do you know any book that will help me in the CR section?

thanks for posting.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

Barron's 2400 is not what you need. That's aimed at getting a perfect score. You want a more general guide based on your current scores. Get your hands on as many practice tests as you can, too.

Whatever you do, if you're going to study vocabulary, don't study words. Study roots, prefixes, and suffixes, as these can be combined to make more words than you'd otherwise be able to learn and are thus more worth your time. (Taking apart the words is also a useful strategy for encountering words you don't know, whereas simply memorizing words leaves you stuck.) Knowing parts of words and how words are constructed makes it easier to make an educated guess, too.

Wordsmart I by itself is pretty good. It has around 800 words which have appeared consistently in the CR test. If you want to be even more prepared, there is also Wordsmart II, which has another 800ish. I just focused on Wordsmart I and it served me well.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing I think is most helpful is to realize that every answer is correct for a reason (after all it is a reasoning test). This means some answers may seem okay, but there is always a best answer.

This may sound ignorant but I don't think the SAT is biased against students who don't know English. It's for determining your success in American universities so of course it will be harder to score well if English is not your first language. That being said I think the test is very unfair for American students from lower economic backgrounds or those whose parents don't speak English well or at all.

• 5 weeks later...

Help please:

I need some books that will help me in the Critical Reading Section!

Like they said, 1. do A LOT of practice tests, 2. go over each incorrect answer and figure out exactly why you got them wrong

I guess the few most commonly used books for critical reading (SAT in general actually) would be princeton review, the official SAT guide, and barron's, although if you need help with vocab in particular barron's has certain books especially for vocab

I I got 660 in CR. Read lots of things and practice tests( a lot of them)

I agree with doing a LOT of practice tests. That's all I did the week before the test and it really paid off.

Reading, on the other hand, depends on how close your SAT test date is. If it's not in another 6 months, then I guess an extensive amount of reading might help, but if it's in a couple months or less, don't count on it.

• 1 month later...

- PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

- For fill ins - Its also about technique. Don't go learning vocabulary. Go learn roots. You will be able to look at words, and with your knowledge of greek/latin roots you will be able to correctly guess what they mean. And of course use context.

- For passages - Don't read the entire passage first and then answer questions. Answer questions as you read along, and bracket lines in the passage that the question asks. This helps you focus on the lines you need to.

Good luck!

Tbh the people who really excel at that stuff are people who read a lot. It's not like a last minute thing you can do but reading 3-4 books a week should help you improve quite rapidly, especially if you challenge yourself in your reading material.

Apart from that practice, go back, redo questions you got wrong multiple times, etc. It's really very "Beatable" if you see what I mean, improving your score is more about putting the hours of work in than actually figuring out what to do.

I've never good at standaradized testing.... Honey, this won't help you much. Yes studying some of the vocabulary might help, but btw IB is not made for State or Country testing. Which is what the SAT is. No matter how smart you may be, this testing lowers IB kids brains.