Should I retake the SAT?

!ndigo

I just took the SAT for the first time and these were my scores:

Critical Reading 740 98%

Math 660 87%

Writing 700 96%

Multiple Choice 65 (score range: 20-80)

Essay 11 (score range: 2-12)

I'm pretty happy with my reading and writing scores but not so happy with math, I know I could get into a lot of schools with these but what I really want to do is to attend a science oriented school and I think my math score will really hurt my chances of getting in.

I didn't study or really do any prep for this and I'm thinking that could have had an effect...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Go ahead and retake it if you feel like it. Those are good scores, but you're right in saying better scores will help you get into more scientific schools. Don't worry too much about your critical reading and writing scores, most schools superscore so you will keep the highest scores in each category when they evaluate you.

If you feel that you can get a better mark, go ahead and retake the test. There is nothing to lose.

When you retake the SAT, universities take the highest scores in each category. So the next time you take the SAT, focus on the math section. Also, you need to do some practice.

I have a question though: How did you get this HIGH critical reading score??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Red XII

If you feel that you can get a better mark, go ahead and retake the test. There is nothing to lose.

When you retake the SAT, universities take the highest scores in each category. So the next time you take the SAT, focus on the math section. Also, you need to do some practice.

I have a question though: How did you get this HIGH critical reading score??

This is only true at some universities.

I'd recommend retaking it since this is your first time. Scores generally improve from the first to the second time with little to no preparation in between. You should spend some time preparing for math, though, because that score will probably be the most important if you're looking at going into science and applying to science-focused schools.

If you don't improve significantly this next time, there's no sense retaking it a third time. The second time should - under most circumstances - be your last.

That's basically my score, just switch around writing and math.

Those are really good scores for your first time, and if math is the only thing you had problems with, I recommended you focus primarily on that and not as much at all on the other subjects as they take the best scores for each subject. I would recommend taking it again though, because the second time there usually is a good amount of improvement.

That's basically my score, just switch around writing and math.

Those are really good scores for your first time, and if math is the only thing you had problems with, I recommended you focus primarily on that and not as much at all on the other subjects as they take the best scores for each subject. I would recommend taking it again though, because the second time there usually is a good amount of improvement.

• 3 weeks later...

Re-take it! You want to re-take it anyway (since you asked), and they look at your best SAT scores anyway. (You may also improve in the other sections too, so that could be an added bonus).

Congrats on your SATs scores, and good luck!

Actually many top unis require you to send all of your scores. I am really amazed at ur essay score. Since you didn't study to get a 2200, I think you should aim for 2350. This can pretty much guarantee you admission, provided that everything else is in order.

Good Luck and don't forget those SAT IIs!!! :D