French HL Paper 1 help!

Okay so I'm currently doing IB French B HL and I'm getting straight As (or 7 if you want what it is equivalent to in IB talk) for both my oral and writing, but I seem to have a huge problem in my paper 1 (comprehension) :( . It's not like I'm failing it but I could do way better (i.e. get a 7). My problem with it is that I always seem to overestimate what they want in the questions and so I give a huge and complex answer that no one would have thought of, and I think that I don't always understand the question and their answers (especially the ones where they tell you to provide a question or title to a particular part of the test). :bawling::sadnod:

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how I can improve my comprehension (apart from reading more books, obviously)? Is there anyway I can answer the questions better so that I'll ACTUALLY get the correct answer?

Help would be much appreciated!!! :yes:

• 1 month later...

Okay so I'm currently doing IB French B HL and I'm getting straight As (or 7 if you want what it is equivalent to in IB talk) for both my oral and writing, but I seem to have a huge problem in my paper 1 (comprehension) :( . It's not like I'm failing it but I could do way better (i.e. get a 7). My problem with it is that I always seem to overestimate what they want in the questions and so I give a huge and complex answer that no one would have thought of, and I think that I don't always understand the question and their answers (especially the ones where they tell you to provide a question or title to a particular part of the test). :bawling::sadnod:

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as to how I can improve my comprehension (apart from reading more books, obviously)? Is there anyway I can answer the questions better so that I'll ACTUALLY get the correct answer?

Help would be much appreciated!!! :yes:

I'd suggest looking as past papers and seeing what kinds of questions they ask? Then check out the markscheme and see what kind of answers they want?

Kind of off topic, but how do you get 7s on orals and writings all the time!? I land high 6s all the time and I wish I could just hop that boundary.

Also, you're a HK-er too? :D What school do you go to?

Not sure if you've done the exam already, but for Paper 1, it's really good to give the most basic answers you can in Sections 1-3. Also, the parts where you put certain terms into the blank spaces, memorize around 40 of those, and then you're likely to get the ones you memorized as the words (e.g Tandis que, Alors que, Afin etc..) Oh, and for Section D, if your vocab is good, try to use the ideas and convey them using your own words, but if not just copy the exact ideas off the text. You'll still land a 9/10 doing that; which is still a 7. I followed these things and got a 57/60 for Paper 1, so good luck man!

• 1 year later...