How Lipase(enzyme) can be affected with Substrate Concentration

Markee

The dimples will have drops of iodine solution, so that they'll be ready when you are testing the solution in the test tube every 30 seconds.

How many drops btw?

So my method would be, for each dimple, place a drop of iodine solution, afterwards, add the solution from each test tube to the iodine solution (or maybe 1 at a time - hehe) and time it's reaction?

• Like 1

Yeah, so basically:

2-3 drops of iodine into each dimple.

Start with 100%starch solution, add the buffer and the moment you add the enzyme start timing. After 30 seconds take a small amount from the tube and drop it into the first dimple..then after the next 30 seconds, take another sample and drop it into the second dimple. Keep doing that until the color stops changing. Record the time of when it stopped.

Then for to 75% starch solution and do the same..etc. :)

Im not sure why you would need to take samples from the test tube. The rate is basically time taken till colour change. By taking way samples you are tampering with the experiment.

EPIC AWESOMENESS! (Y)XD

I meant to say by, how many drops will i be taking from the solution in the test tube. JAMES! Are you just doing this on purpose?! XD

• Like 1

How then? adding iodine to the test tube and see how long it takes for the color to stop changing? That doesn't make sense..if it changed to blue-black, it's not going to change back to brown.

Yes it can, when the iodine is placed into the starch solution it will turn blue-black due to the amylose long chains. When starch is broken up to individual glucose molecules the structure is destroyed and the colour of the solution will return back to the colour of iodine solution.

How then? adding iodine to the test tube and see how long it takes for the color to stop changing? That doesn't make sense..if it changed to blue-black, it's not going to change back to brown.

Yes it can, when the iodine is placed into the starch solution it will turn blue-black due to the amylose long chains. When starch is broken up to individual glucose molecules the structure is destroyed and the colour of the solution will return back to the colour of iodine solution.

I know that! I was referring to your post being on the 4th page of this thread! >.<

• Like 1

I just checked my biochem module and yes you're right, that was totally off my mind. Thanks :)

I wonder why our teacher didnt tell us to use that way, aaand why do all the website mention that method? Weird

Then Mark, doing it all in one tube is much easier.

Ahh, so I won't need the dimple trays then?

• Like 1