Getting a 3 in Math HL?

nik_20

Recently, I got 45 percent in my first math test for math HL, and I'm just wondering if I keep getting around the 50-60 percentage area, will I get at least a 3 for the subject. I am worrying a lot about failing Math HL and then not getting the IB Diploma.

Also, does the grade (1-7) depend on discussion in class, because I never get involved, or is it just IA and EA's.

You can definitely not judge, your entire final ib mark for Math HL upon one test... especially your first.

Math HL is hard and yes, in general we all get tests where we don't do very well but this is definitely not something you should stress over. As long as you do the work and keep trying to understand concepts and do problems, you will eventually get it and do better.

As for your mark, it only depends on the two portfolio projects your do and your exam mark.

• Like 2

Well, class discussion does indirectly affect your grades. It helps you understand; don't take it for granted.

Let's face it too; it is hard for a teacher to not be slightly biased against you if you never participate. It may show in your IA grades and if you aren't sampled, there goes chances of having good grades. I'm not saying this will happen but it's possible. So just to be safe, participate. It's a win-win situation.

• Like 1

One test shouldn't be too big of a deal, just study really hard for all the rest of them. :)

Make sure you spend time on your IAs because you have a lot of control over that mark versus during your exams, they are a prime opportunity to get high scores to relieve some pressure when you are testing.

Guest Pingg

Well one reason why you shouldn't be worrying about your IB exam grade for HL math is because you've still got another year of that class to go.

It's always intimidating at first, but I bet you will do better on your next test.

You don't have to get 6's or 7's on your first couple tests in any of your HL classes.

That would mean that you should just take the exam and not even bother taking the class.

I know that's not necessarily tru but get my point?

Things will get better. Just study more and be optimistic.

50-60% in math HL is in the range of level 5-6 I believe. So I don't think that you should be worried at all from getting a 3. Instead of being afraid from failing though try to start aiming high. You have an entire year and if u work hard wonders could happen. I know someone who was getting 60% on the first exams and is now getting straight 7s so it is definitely doable.

The key is to make sure that you really understand the concepts and to practice a lot.

Math is not the sort of subject that you can just forget about. You need to constantly practice and solve (1 hour a day I always say :D )and work on turning all of the knowledge you have into skills.

(you are not assessed for discussion in class although it is a good idea to participate especially in Math HL class to understand better and grasp the concepts)

So good luck! Math HL is difficult but it is definitely worth it a if you work hard enough it will pay off!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest IBkidd

50-60% in math HL is in the range of level 5-6 I believe. So I don't think that you should be worried at all from getting a 3. Instead of being afraid from failing though try to start aiming high. You have an entire year and if u work hard wonders could happen. I know someone who was getting 60% on the first exams and is now getting straight 7s so it is definitely doable.

The key is to make sure that you really understand the concepts and to practice a lot.

Math is not the sort of subject that you can just forget about. You need to constantly practice and solve (1 hour a day I always say :D )and work on turning all of the knowledge you have into skills.

(you are not assessed for discussion in class although it is a good idea to participate especially in Math HL class to understand better and grasp the concepts)

So good luck! Math HL is difficult but it is definitely worth it a if you work hard enough it will pay off!

well said, and nice advice... hwever wouldnt it be easier to solve past papers?

have u got any maths hl notes? :))

Well if you're getting a three in HL maths, I suggest u either drop to SL or be honest to yourself and study all from the bottom. Seriously, I mean 1 year is not enough to clear everything up that you don't understand before, so it depends what choice are you up to.

Well if you're getting a three in HL maths, I suggest u either drop to SL or be honest to yourself and study all from the bottom. Seriously, I mean 1 year is not enough to clear everything up that you don't understand before, so it depends what choice are you up to.

I disagree with you there. If you're at the beginning of the course, then a relatively low score(although it's not great)is expected. It takes a while to adapt to HL Maths and do well at it. I don't think that dropping to SL Maths would be the best thing to do, perhaps give it a little more time and a few more tests to get an average of the score that you've got on those tests, before coming to an informed decision. And to be honest, if you put in more effort into HL Maths and do a little practice everyday for about an hour, there should automatically be an improvement. For example, at the beginning of the HL Maths course, I was at a grade 4. Now, after practicing every day, the average grade that I'm getting for my Maths tests is a grade 6. And that's not bad, I think.

So with more effort put into Maths, I'm sure that anyone could improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently, I got 45 percent in my first math test for math HL, and I'm just wondering if I keep getting around the 50-60 percentage area, will I get at least a 3 for the subject. I am worrying a lot about failing Math HL and then not getting the IB Diploma.

Also, does the grade (1-7) depend on discussion in class, because I never get involved, or is it just IA and EA's.

You will probably be fine. First test can be tricky since it is all new, so do some more test before you decide. Though, if you don't already now it you have to put a lot time in it, my teacher recomended 1-2 hours a day, then you won't fail! But I switched down after 1 and a half term since I noticed that there was no time and my grades were going downards. So you could wait for quite a while!