LNAT

Papi

Hey,

So I'm considering studying Law after I finish the IB course and I've heard from my University supervisor that some Universities might want the LNATs (an exam wanted by some UK Universities for Law).

Now after reading some requirements in their websites I see that it is infact wanted by some/most Universities.

I vaguely know what the exam is after heading to their website, but my question is, if any of you guys have taken the LNATs if it was difficult? Did you have to prepare and study a lot for it? Or was it easy compared the the IB exams?

Thanks! ^_^

I took the LNAT in October for this year's UCAS offers and tbh it really requires different skills to those required for IB exams.

It is a difficult test, but it's interesting! You should download the practice test simulation from the LNAT website to get an idea because the real thing is pretty much exactly the same.

It's basically comprehension of very erudite passages, which you cannot really study for I guess. I think they recommend practicing by critically reading journals/articles and thinking of arguments you would form for/against certain issues. You need to be able to read and answer questions quickly in order to do well; Also the essay section is quite demanding in terms of time limitation, the key is to not waste time selecting a question (obviously) and have an argument that shows you have the kind of skills required to study law. One positive aspect of the test is that only the multiple choice (comprehension) section is graded. The essay remains unmarked and is provided as is with your application to the universities.

...but honestly I didn't do anything in preparation for the test and I'm happy with my results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm also considering studying Law in the UK after IB and I've been debating with myself whether to take the LNAT. I had a look at the practice tests and they were quite a surprise. I did some more research online and what people have generally been saying is that it's quite a difficult test, with the average score hovering around 16/30. A friend who finished IB last year and is currently doing Law in the UK gave me a LNAT study guide and after having a look, the stuff inside is pretty scary, I have to say.

I was also under the impression that a lot of law schools require LNAT, but actually, it's not the case. According to the LNAT website, only these universities require LNAT:

- University of Birmingham

- University of Bristol

- Durham University

- University of Glasgow

- King's College London

- University of Nottingham

- University of Manchester

- University of Oxford

- University College London

- National University of Ireland Maynooth (mature entry only)

- IE University, Spain

I'm still not sure whether I should take the LNAT or not. While I'll be able to apply to more law schools with LNAT, it might only be a source of extra stress for me and it'll be looming over my head for months (I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so if I decided to take it I'd probably end up worrying about it every day). Besides, even if you don't take the LNAT and want to apply to top law schools, LSE, Queen Mary and Warwick are still available, among other places.

• 1 month later...

Tbh, I didn't even think twice about the LNAT before I went for the exam. I went in with zero preparation and just waffled my way though with an alert mind, a full night's sleep, and a confident disposition. I didn't bother with any of those silly guides, they made things unnecessarily onerous when they're really quite simple. If I remember correctly, the average for the exam I sat was a 14/30 in the comprehension section and I got a 20. The essay was a piece of cake for anyone who paid a lick of attention in ToK and has a streak for argument and is opinionated, which is vital in Law. I remember my essay poignantly because I chose a topic about gun laws in the UK and had a lot of fun writing that essay.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm going to take my LNAT test within a couple of weeks and I would like to enquire does anyone know what is the average LNAT score "acceptable" for the universities? After having done the first sample test, I scored only 20 and this seems a very low result. So I was just interested if anyone had an idea what result would be suitable for a successful app. :)

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I took the LNAT in October for this year's UCAS offers and tbh it really requires different skills to those required for IB exams.

It is a difficult test, but it's interesting! You should download the practice test simulation from the LNAT website to get an idea because the real thing is pretty much exactly the same.

It's basically comprehension of very erudite passages, which you cannot really study for I guess. I think they recommend practicing by critically reading journals/articles and thinking of arguments you would form for/against certain issues. You need to be able to read and answer questions quickly in order to do well; Also the essay section is quite demanding in terms of time limitation, the key is to not waste time selecting a question (obviously) and have an argument that shows you have the kind of skills required to study law. One positive aspect of the test is that only the multiple choice (comprehension) section is graded. The essay remains unmarked and is provided as is with your application to the universities.

...but honestly I didn't do anything in preparation for the test and I'm happy with my results.

Just out of interest, what were your results? :)