Choosing my classes

custardapple101

Hey! I am kinda of new here and haven't been able to be here because of school work. :read::no: But I wish to be back on this site and I wanted to know about the IB classes. We have to choose what classes we are going to take and I was wondering with the help of you guys if you could give me so advice.

IB HL History and English are something we HAVE to take. The HL's they offer are that we can choose are:

Math

Chemistry

Biology

Psychology

Art

About me: I love science - This year I am taking Chemistry and I love it more than biology. I actually have a better in chemistry than I did in bio. But I want to be a doctor. I am also taking an anatomy class, I love it so much. I am currently taking pre-calc and I love math but less than science. so what HL or SL should I take?

If the HL is science, so I take biology or chemistry?

Then we have to choose 2 SL's. Spanish is something I HAVE to take.

SL's that I can choose:

Physics

Psychology

Chemistry

Math

biology

Music

Art

So I was thinking what SL I should take. Because I really want to take physics SL but the teacher sucks. :( and they offer psychology but I already took AP Psychology, so it'll be a bore for me.

So please give me your advice. Thanks!:)

If you take English, History, and Bio/Chem (one or the other) HL, Spanish SL, you'll need Math SL and your sixth subject.

For your sixth subject, as you indicated, you can take the other science you're not taking already, or one of the arts classes (music, art, etc.)

If you enjoy art/music, then take those. They're fun, because they're more individualized than any other class. You investigate things that you appreciate and it'll break away from the normal day that you have. Normally, teachers recommend taking whatever class they teach at the HL level, so you'll have more time to prepare for the exam.

However, if you don't take any of those, then you can take Physics, Psychology, or the science you're not taking. According to your preferences, your only choice left is the science you're not taking, so basically, you're either taking an art/music class or the other science. If you want to be a doctor, you should probably take the other science. And just take a physics class online or at your community college during a summer, that way you'll gain more experience in what you'll have to study in order to apply for medical school.

My personal opinion: take Bio HL and Chemistry SL. I'm not that good at memorizing, yet I do well in Bio. And most people complain at Chemistry, even the kids who did amazingly in Chemistry I (pre-IB), due to the amount of work they have to do to prepare for the exam.

The only exception to this would be if you love love love Chemistry and absolutely suck at memorizing. And by that, I mean you can't remember what you did this morning. If that's the case, take Chem HL and Bio SL.

Take math SL for sure, then take either biology or chemistry at HL. As Drake mentioned it would be better to take biology HL if you're thinking of med school in the future but if you really love chemistry then take that at HL. Whichever option of biology or chemistry you don't take at HL, take it at SL. Physics isn't really needed much but if really like it you could take it as a 7th subject.

I recommend:

Biology HL/SL

Maths HL

English HL

History HL

Chemistry SL/HL

Spanish SL

Funnily enough, that is the courseload I have and it is actually great fun. Biology is probably easier than chemistry in most cases, but given the option I would have done Chem HL over Bio HL, I just didn't have the choice. It really depends on which subject you like more, though it seems you prefer chemistry quite a bit. I know most people are going to say "Don't do Maths HL! It will kill you!" but really, it is a fantastic class and if you are taking pre-calculus and are doing very well then there is no reason not to take Maths HL. Good luck with your choices and I hope you enjoy IB! :)

He/she does not need HL math for any type of med school. Will only hurt his/her score in the end. SL Math will be plenty to get along fine. And HL Chem+HL Math would be brutal :) But some people do it fine. I'm just sayin' for med school HL math isn't as big of a deal than maybe an engineering major.