Psychology HL paper 3?

toeynawa

Hello All.

My teacher is prepping us for psychology HL 3. Based on the syllabus, the test will be testing our knowledge and understanding of qualitative research and methodology. I asked my teacher whether inferential statistic and its analysis will be essential to complete this paper. She was not so sure about it.

It would be a great help if you guys can clarify this for me and my class. We didn't spend any time on inferential statistic at all. For my internal assessment I have to seek aid from my maths teacher.

And I will be taking mock exam paper 3 in a week :( so I really want to know that before I go in to take the test.

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

As per the syllabus page 27, paper 3 will only include qualitative research methods.

For example in the new specimen paper you are given an abstract from a research article which briefly outlines what they wanted to investigate, how they collected their data and the sample size. After reading the abstract they ask you several questions about the advantages and disadvantages of the methods used. They also ask for ways you can improve the study and how well the data gathered can be generalized to the population. So no inferential stats :).

Inferential statistics is for HL only but you are only meant to use them for the IA so don't worry about memorizing the different inferential tests for paper 3. If you need any help with inferential statistics we can help you out. We will need the details about your study though like whether it was independent or repeated measures, how you measured the data (time, ratings of 1-5) and so on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Are we supposed to be writing our Paper 3 answers in essay form? For example, the question on the specimen paper asks to explain to advantages and disadvantages of using research strategy in the context of a study, should we answer in paragraph form, or are coherent bullet points (one list for advantages, one list of disadvantages, with explanations embedded in) good enough?

Edited by Cool Beans !!

Are we supposed to be writing our Paper 3 answers in essay form? For example, the question on the specimen paper asks to explain to advantages and disadvantages of using research strategy in the context of a study, should we answer in paragraph form, or are coherent bullet points (one list for advantages, one list of disadvantages, with explanations embedded in) good enough?

I would definitely answer in essay form.

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding was that they are short-answer questions like paper 1; about 20 minutes each (1 hour in total). So I don't plan on doing any major essay structure in May. I'm just going answer the question and maybe add a concluding sentence if I deem it necessary, but of course an introduction is good to have in any answer even short-answer.

• 11 months later...

My psychology teacher gave me a 6 cause my answer was an essay. She wanted bullet points -.-