U of T vs UBC

procrastinate

How does UBC and U of T compare to each other, academic wise? I know U of T is better than UBC, but how far is UBC from U of T?

If they are very similar I will probably go to UBC - Vancouver as a city is better for me than Toronto as I'll have family nearby. However, if U of T is much better I will of course go to Toronto.

I was also accepted in the U of A - how does this compare to U of T and UBC?

Thanks!

This depends on the program you're entering. UoA is one of the best research universities in Canada, probably second only to McGill (though I'm not too certain what research at UoT is like.) In terms of overall ranking, UoT is almost always higher than the two. However, Arts at the UoA are more or less lackluster compared to both UBC and UoT.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going through the same problem! I've been accepted to both of thoses universities, (U of T and UBC) For social sciences aswell... (international relations and stuff like that) But I don't know which one I should go to!

Honestly? It's undergrad. Compare the two cities, rather than the institutions.

I think it was Mcgill, U of T, then UBC in terms of ranking. I'm not sure if that was only for the sciences though. I'm not too sure about the social sciences, but I hear that some or much of U of T's science faculty is mostly comprised of Asian students who tend to prefer speaking in their native language, thus causing some friction within the student body of the university.

http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/11/10/too-asian/4/

I would really love to go to U of T if I can afford it, but I'm afraid becoming isolated due to language issues....don't get me wrong - I'm Asian too. My Cantonese and Mandarin have just always been downright awful.

• 3 weeks later...

I may not be the right person to answer this because I'm going to UofT in two years. UofT is the best out of the three for mechanical engineering stated in this link.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011/subject-rankings/engineering/mechanical-engineering

As for Social Sciences check the below link. UofT is the highest ranking Canadian University for Social Science

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/social-sciences.html

• 2 weeks later...

I am admitted to the U of T and U of A as well. And most of my seniors had went to UBC. I think that all 3 universities are great, so what you might want to consider would be global recognition and fees instead. If you plan to work in canada.. say vancouver, then it might be better to attend UBC to secure a job placement. but if you plan to work outside of canada, u of t would be a better choice as it is the most popular of the 3. in terms of fees, u of A is a win, no doubt. :D sucks to be an international because u of t is too expensive for me. :( but i sure wish you the best! :)

engineering U of T anyone? anyone already got an offer? mine still not been replied yet. =(

I also applied there for engineering and didn't get an answer yet... I somehow want to go there rather than UoSherbrooke where i'm accepted already but, i'm not very interested moving to sherbrooke because it not as big and fun as Vancouve (where i live), a great place to stay focus on studies. I hope they answer soon.