Northeastern University in Boston

Dr. Nipplzzz

Hey guys,

I was accepted to a university in America. It's called Northeastern and it's pretty much in the middle of Boston. I need help trying to figure out if I should go because they are expecting a reply by the first of May. Does anybody know anything about Northeastern, is it a good university?

P.S. I have other offers too but it would be great if somebody actually visited the campus before or something like that! the internet is failing to give me any good information. I'm only getting the same cheesy stuff over and over again: "northeastern is great" or "if you have the choice then go to northeastern"

Thanks for your help guys!!!!! It's appreciated

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Please don't use text speak-Maha

if you really want to know about a uni, first check if they have the courses you want. then check out their rankings Northeastern.

i cant find it on the list for the top MBA in the financial times.

http://eaccreditedmbaprograms.com/best-mba-programs/full-time-mba-rankings-financial-times-2010/

or the guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/datablog/2009/oct/08/top-100-universities-world

mmm... and i haven't heard about it.

but lsn, in terms of good. it might be... it might not be ranked in the top 100, but it may be a good uni.

good luck.

I've never heard of it myself but from the looks of Wikipedia and other sources, it looks like a solid school but maybe other schools would be better for your prospective major? Apparently it's a pretty good business school but if you're not into that perhaps look into your other offers.

I have a friend who's an upperclassman at Northeastern. If you have specific questions, I can pass them along and reply back with her answers.

As for studying/living in Boston, I don't think you'd get bored. There are always events on campus [like every college] and in the city. What I've come to appreciate is that many regional or national events may take place in Boston. I don't know how relevant this is to Northeastern, but there's a level of precaution you have to take because you're living in a city. Boston might seem tiny compared to where you live now or it might be huge. Either way, I really enjoy going to college in the Boston area.

• 6 months later...

From what i've heard Northeastern is a wonderful place to go (I'm applying there myself).

Check out their course catalogue. and FYI Boston is an awesome place to live and off-campus is also pretty cheap. Northeastern students get discounts all over Boston.

Check out http://collegeprowler.com/northeastern-university/ for a more detailed analysis. What other options are there by the way?

I visited Northeastern this summer! I have to say that once I stepped onto campus, I literally FELL. IN. LOVE. with the school! The campus is beautiful. It was very green. The buildings were pretty modern. It's not the best school, not too hard to get into, but it is still pretty good! I never heard of it until I began attending my high school at the moment, and it's adored here. There co-op program is definitely #1, at least in America. If you don't know what that is, it's basically a full-time job. You can work during school months, and you get paid (it's not an amazing amount). If you work while school is going on, you don't have to pay the tuition for that time - or go to school, obviously. That means, though, you have to attend school during your summers, which can be a huge pain in the butt. But the great thing is that employers love this, because they know you have a ton of experience already since it's a full-time job (compared to the normal undergraduate student). Or, you might find out you don't like that certain field you thought you would be interested in. Again, it's not the "best" school, and it's not as well known, but it's beginning to be more well-known and is pretty well respected I would say.

Boston as a city is wonderful, too. You'll never run out of things to do. I think there's great night life, and the transportation is amazing. You use subways and trains and what not. No need for a car - you wouldn't want one, because parking is expensive. Oh, and the freshman dorms in Northeastern are NICE. Maybe they showed us the nicer ones on purpose, but they were really nice. They're even remodelling some freshman dorms. I think you would like Northeastern a lot. Definitely a school that has a ton of activities and things going on. Boston is so full of life, too. It's a very popular college city - TONS of colleges in this city - so you won't be lonely, either. Northeastern is pretty much right next to Boston University so you'll meet lots of other college students and make lots of friends around your age. I think I heard a statistic that 75% of all Boston residents during the school year were all college students.

I might be biased, but let me just say that you won't be disappointed with Northeastern. I love this school. I love Boston!

Edit - If you guys have any questions, just ask me and I'll try to respond! I've lived in America for 15 years and I've visited the East Coast (of America) a few times. I also took a few pictures of Northeastern, but they might be pictures you can already find online. But feel free to ask me for them if you want :)

Edited by holly

• 3 months later...

Northeastern is a very good school. As some people have mentioned, it isn't the hardest to get into but it provides an excellent education and the professors are top notch. Also, being in Boston you will always have the opportunity to expand your horizons. You can do things like attend seminars at Harvard/MIT, attend lectures in Tufts, or even try and meet people from other schools so you learn more. That's the beauty of a place like Boston.My sugg

My suggestion is to think hard about Northeastern. Well done for getting in - yes, it isn't the most selective school, but people go on to do great things when they graduate from there, and you'll definitely enjoy your 4 years there.

Going by rankings and reputation and friends who have applied, it really isn't very difficult to get into but has been seen as a 'okay safety' by most people I know. However, its location is a MAJOR plus and it also has a very diverse student body (not sure how important that is to you though). What I liked about Northeastern was that they offer so much in terms of working experience and research - particularly if you major in business, you get to work with top businesses as part of your course.

For a good feel of Northeastern, try http://collegeprowle...ern-university/

Edited by ShootingStars

• 5 months later...