A book related with "Catcher in the Rye"

becoming meursault

Hello guys,

I am planning to work on "Catcher in the Rye" and one another book related with it in terms of themes or subjects or something else. I have "The Great Gatsby" in my mind that I can compare them in terms of looking at American dream and also "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is another option in terms of conflict society versus individual.

However, I could not decide the topic yet. I'd be glad if you comment on this or recommend some other books.

I'm taking English A2 and we did "A Separate Peace". Our teacher always mentioned that it usually goes together with "Catcher in the Rye" as they are about so called rite of passage, growing up and so on.

Hope that helps XD

It is a very good option. while I was researching, I didn't come up with this book, "A Seperate Peace". I have limited time but will keep researching. Thanks for the recommendation, it really helped. :S:P

I recently read Perks of Being a Wallflower and found the style to be quite similar to the Catcher in the Rye. I'd recommend giving it a look and see if it works for you.

Well, I did a quick research about the book and like it. I'll see if I can find an interesting research question. Still, I could'nt make up my mind but thanks for the recommendation. :S

I would second the recommendation for A Separate Peace. It's a fairly easy read and there's even Sparknotes. The movie itself was pretty substantial, and I even think it paralleled the novel. I saw much comparison between these two novels; I did my first practice oral on comparing the rite of passages from boyhood/adolescence to young adults.

I would second the recommendation for A Separate Peace. It's a fairly easy read and there's even Sparknotes. The movie itself was pretty substantial, and I even think it paralleled the novel. I saw much comparison between these two novels; I did my first practice oral on comparing the rite of passages from boyhood/adolescence to young adults.

Thanks for the recommendation. We read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and discussed a lot about the racism and the-coming-of-age. That is why; comparing the-coming-of-age would not be very difficult for me. What I need is to talk to my supervisor and make my final decision, I guess.

"Catcher" has to be one of the most influential books of the last century, you shouldn't have any trouble finding plenty of good connections. If you want to work with something that came before it then "Gatsby" works. I also see connections with Barrie's "Peter Pan" and a lot of William Faulkner work. If you do something that came after it then "A Clockwork Orange," or Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" works (if you're immune to depression), or you could use Chuck Palahniuk, his most famous book was "Fight Club." If you want to do something really creative though, you could compare him to Louis Sachar, a children's writer who's most famous for "Holes" and the "Wayside School" series. His books are all really easy (because they were written for ten-year-olds) but they still have depth and reflect a lot of the same ideas as Salinger. One last recommendation, if you get writer's block at any point then try looking at some of Salinger's other work, most of it has similar ideas but says it in a different way, which you could really use.

These all have a lot to do with individual v society. Personally I don't like writing about "the American Dream" because it feels like to broad s topic, but you can definitely talk about the struggle for idealism.

"Catcher" has to be one of the most influential books of the last century, you shouldn't have any trouble finding plenty of good connections. If you want to work with something that came before it then "Gatsby" works. I also see connections with Barrie's "Peter Pan" and a lot of William Faulkner work. If you do something that came after it then "A Clockwork Orange," or Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" works (if you're immune to depression), or you could use Chuck Palahniuk, his most famous book was "Fight Club." If you want to do something really creative though, you could compare him to Louis Sachar, a children's writer who's most famous for "Holes" and the "Wayside School" series. His books are all really easy (because they were written for ten-year-olds) but they still have depth and reflect a lot of the same ideas as Salinger. One last recommendation, if you get writer's block at any point then try looking at some of Salinger's other work, most of it has similar ideas but says it in a different way, which you could really use.

These all have a lot to do with individual v society. Personally I don't like writing about "the American Dream" because it feels like to broad s topic, but you can definitely talk about the struggle for idealism.

Well, these are really good recommendations. Actually, I like the books you said, but they are the books which some of my classmates chose to work on, so I didn't want to work on them. Only the children books are the ones that nobody is working on. The idea to compare "The Catcher in the Rye" with the Louis Sachar's books is really attractive but I already had my pre-meeting with my supervisor. I don't think that I can change my topic. Thank you, again.