Theatre Independent Project Portfolio

Cool Beans !!

So I've written and directed a naturalistic play for my school's One-Act Festival (a bunch of short plays performed throughout a couple of days), and that's basically my IPP. The problem is, my teacher said at one point I should choose between writing and directing when I'm actually writing my IPP.

But, which one should I choose?

I think you should pick the one you felt the most relaxed and enthusiastic about. which did you learn more? which did you actually find the most interesting? which one gives you the most information? it's all about if you feel you have enough to share and get a good, solid word count out of it.

since i also did a One Act that i then directed, i think you should go with the writing aspect. directing is a little vague when you come right down to it. doing your IPP as a writer may be easier to do. if i was doing my IPP on my One Act i would have picked writing. but that's just my opinion :] do what you feel comfortable with.

like sigath said, do what is most comfortable for you.

as someone who is doing the writing aspect for my ipp, i fully support that choice.

also, you said that you were writing the one act which would give you a bigger range of topics to cover when you 'talk' about it for your project.

because, remember, you need journals for that project and that can include your frustrations and/or excitements when it comes to writing the play.

hope i helped. good luck!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm soon starting my IPP as well; I'm pairing up with a friend and writing the script of a short 15 minute play, while she's going to be the one directing it.

I was wondering whether script-writing would suffice for IPP - will I have enough to write about? I want to set it in 1920's America, so I'll do a lot of research regarding that era, however I'm worried that my 'portfolio' aspect of it will be very small.

Thanks in advance!

• 2 months later...

It depends what option you choose...

Option A or B?

Option A: Devising a piece of theatre.

Option B: Exploring a theatrical practice.

So, if you choose option A, your IP portfolio would have to be focused on the directing aspect of your piece. You should not talk about the writing process. If you, however, choose Option B, you could explore a certain practice through writing. In that case, your IP portfolio should definitely focus on your writing process and how that connects to the practice that you are exploring.

PS: The IB Theatre Syllabus is a GOD. Use it well.

Edited by mfitzpatrick

• 1 month later...

For HL IPP, is 3000 words the maximum word count, or the minimum? :dontgetit:

it confuses me all thet time. i was thinking to complete it around 3000 words, like 2990 or 3100 for example.

but if 3000 is actually the max word count, the portfolio will be marked down cuz the it's over the maximum word count wouldnt it?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey I wrote and directed a play too, and in my experience directing worked out a lot better for my IPP. But it really depends on the type of play you put up and what took you more research and hard work. My script is pretty basic to be honest and the idea I'm trying to put across isn't something new, but its kind of a sensitive topic, so it wasn't exactly the writing it up that took me imense amounts brainpower. I have directed my actors using Stanislavksy's techniques (Realistic acting) while incoroprating the use of media (pre-recorded bits played on a projector) that have combined to make a pretty powerful play. The dialogues are short and I have only 2 main actors who are on stage throughout, but directing has taken a huge amount of work. So in my case I had a lot lot lot to talk about because I get to talk about the style of acting, filming, music and lighting (I've mostly done it all myself) the sets and the actors I chose to play the parts. The entire process of directing is actually really difficult and if you have been acting for a while and it's somethin you are really passionant about then in the directors chair it's actually pretty amazing getting to make all of the decisions instead of being told what to do.

So that's just my perspective :) hope it helps? (and I have heard of people getting higher scores for directing)