Commiting Suicide - First Choice

Guest Parshant DiPersia

Guest Parshant DiPersia

Just got my first semester report today. I failed math.

Lets put it this way, my parents are the type of people who will literally kill me for failing a course!

i was getting a 65% in midterms in math, did soo bad on my math exam, went down to 45%!

i feel like sh**

told my mom, she walked away, havent talked to her since

told my dad, yelled at me, and told me to not go to school tomorrow

the thing with me is that, I really wanted to stay in IB.

mainly because i really wanna achieve something in life, i have a goal like most people, and don't wanna end up doing drugs (like my middle school friends; all of them are on drugs)

i feel lucky i got accepted in IB, and switched schools, or i would have been doing drugs.

I'm in grade 10 btw, and yeah, it's in the "real" IB program yet, but what can i say, i screwed up

I did fine in my other courses, just math..

Also made some real nice friends (dont really have alot of them), for the first time..

funny cause i always wanted good friends, and just when i have some, I have to leave my school.

Well, on top of all this, i've heard alot about how if you fail math in my school, you automatically get kicked out of IB

I don't know what happened to me during the exams. Since grade 7, i've been dying to get in IB (like most people), and now i'm getting kicked out..

Well, thanks for reading this .. uh. ^ scatter of thoughts and sorry for my coarse language ^

Parshant

Just an average everyday boy who thought he understood the importance of education :)

Edited by Austin Glau
no text speak :)
  • Like 3

Awww I feel bad for you :)

I see how math has tortured so many people but I still love it... You should get a tutor :( Your parents are so mean! I've never not talk to my parents for any reason. That happens to my friends -- maybe they do something wrong then they don't talk to their parents for a few days -- but never happens to me. I shall be thankful :D

Your IB1 is grade 10? Stay in IB! I am sure you can improve over the year if you work hard! Good that you have a goal in life -- cause some people don't and they end up doing things they're not supposed to do (e.g. drugs yeah)

Are you moving school now? Your school is also mean! I hope you could stay or get into a new better school!

If you don't have a tutor and need any help in math, just come here, post your questions in the math forum. We will surely help! Or at least I would try to.

Good luck and be happy! Go have some food or watch movies, don't think too much ok :D

• Like 2

I think you an do it. From your post, i felt really that you are ardent about your goal, i think a person with this internal passion an do so much. You did not lose the chance, you have another semester and you can do it.

Now, you should find out you problems and work on. By hard work you can make it. Give much time to math, and if you can have a tutor this will be also a good thing.

Hemigway said in" the old man and the sea":"A man can be destroyed but not defeated", nothing will defeat you if you have the passion to achieve your goal.

Good Luck, and do not give up.

• Like 2

Your parents really are quite mean :D I know some parents of a certian demographic in my area get quite concerened and mad at low grades but they don't not talk to you and scream and keep you from going to school, they just get really mad... that sucks :D Just think though how much you have gone through and done, you didn't end up like your friends who are now on drugs, you got into IB, and even if you go to another school you can try and keep the standards you have and choose good friends ..

Don't give up, and take a break from thinking as desy said, relax youself and try and forget about it for a while, play some games/watch a movie, etc.

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

Guest Parshant DiPersia

Awww I feel bad for you :)

I see how math has tortured so many people but I still love it... You should get a tutor :( Your parents are so mean! I've never not talk to my parents for any reason. That happens to my friends -- maybe they do something wrong then they don't talk to their parents for a few days -- but never happens to me. I shall be thankful :P

Your IB1 is grade 10? Stay in IB! I am sure you can improve over the year if you work hard! Good that you have a goal in life -- cause some people don't and they end up doing things they're not supposed to do (e.g. drugs yeah)

Are you moving school now? Your school is also mean! I hope you could stay or get into a new better school!

If you don't have a tutor and need any help in math, just come here, post your questions in the math forum. We will surely help! Or at least I would try to.

Good luck and be happy! Go have some food or watch movies, don't think too much ok :(

thank you :)

and wow, didn't even know there was a math forum lol

I think you an do it. From your post, i felt really that you are ardent about your goal, i think a person with this internal passion an do so much. You did not lose the chance, you have another semester and you can do it.

Now, you should find out you problems and work on. By hard work you can make it. Give much time to math, and if you can have a tutor this will be also a good thing.

Hemigway said in" the old man and the sea":"A man can be destroyed but not defeated", nothing will defeat you if you have the passion to achieve your goal.

Good Luck, and do not give up.

thanks, very inspiring :):D

Your parents really are quite mean :S I know some parents of a certian demographic in my area get quite concerened and mad at low grades but they don't not talk to you and scream and keep you from going to school, they just get really mad... that sucks :( Just think though how much you have gone through and done, you didn't end up like your friends who are now on drugs, you got into IB, and even if you go to another school you can try and keep the standards you have and choose good friends ..

Don't give up, and take a break from thinking as desy said, relax youself and try and forget about it for a while, play some games/watch a movie, etc.

Good luck! :D

thank you :)

"Parents of a certain demographic" aka Asian parents. :) mine are like that too. Don't worry, you are only a sophomore and you have three years ahead of you yet. Colleges are interested in upward trends, so as long as you improve - and i'm sure you will - they will be impressed at your effort. I'd also suggest getting a tutor or asking a teacher for some personalized help.

My parents have gotten mad at me before for getting bad grades but certainly not to the extreme that your parents did :P I found grade 10 math to be pretty hard too. A lot of people did. So you're not the only one!

You had a bad exam. It happens to even the brightest of people. Really. Sadly there's nothing you can do about it down so you'll have to get over it. Relax, watch a movie, spend some time with your good friends, or better yet do something you're good at to give you a confidence boost. Just because you didn't do well in one course does not mean that you're worthless.

I recommend you take summer school to improve your mark. You'll need to take math in IB so you'll need to brush up on it anyways. If your school wants to kick you out of IB, tell them that your only bad course is math and show them a plan of action for getting better (ex. getting a tutor, retaking math in the summer, etc. ) You seem to like your school and pre-IB so don't give up yet! From what you've said you still seem to understand the value of education so that's a good thing :P

Good luck! ;) ;) I hope it works out for you, I really do. I had a hard time with math (still do) so I sort of understand how you feel. And as Desy mentioned, you can post your math questions in the math forum and we will try to help :P

I usually have no problems in math, but this year my mark dropped like a rock! So I know how you feel to some extent. I think doing well in math is all about pacing yourself - math is a cumulative subject. I believe the reason why my mark dropped so much this year is because I wasn't keeping up with the homework due to my bad time management. Do your math homework corresponding to the lesson you just learned that day before the next class and check your answers. That way your understanding of the material is ensured, making it so much easier to follow along during the next lesson. Different math teachers do different things, but not all math teachers go over all of the testable material in class, so you'll have to learn it yourself through the homework. Doing homework in a paced manner will make it more likely that you'll do well on the quizzes, and will also give you confidence when writing your tests. Don't try doing all of your homework the day before or the few days before the test - I don't know about everyone else, but it definitely doesn't work for me. I need time to absorb all of the material to understand it properly. I went back to this technique recently after resolving to have better time management and I believe it has helped =).

I agree with the summer school suggestion. Your school might let you stay if you redo Math 10 before the next school year begins. Have you considered taking the course online? That could also be an option.

Good luck! Your duration despite your adversities so far has been amazing. Keep up that fighting spirit! I hope your math skills grow so much you'll surprise even yourself!!

Edited by wombat123

Hey dude, don't give up.

I'm in a similar, but not so bad position as you. I am failing 2/4 of my HLs, and my parents put a lot of pressure on me for maths because my older brother topped the school when he did it. I failed my last HL maths test and not only did my teacher but my peers were telling me to drop too, but I feel my chemistry may be worse. Since then I have been persevering, but struggling a lot having a class full of people intellectually smarter than me, however I have been working hard and my upcoming maths test is on Monday. I can already look back and see how much progress I've made in this short period of time. Yes, I know its stressful, however persevere, work hard and prove everyone who looks down on you wrong, prove to everyone you are capable.

I'm assuming you're an Indian from your name. I therefore understand where your parents are coming from, as they seem to me like the "traditional" Indian parents who want their son to become a doctor or an engineer, because that seems to be the only respected professions in the world. And to achieve this you need to have outstanding results in maths and the science subjects. This is of course my assumption, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

What you need to do is quite simple. You need to get closer to your parents, and make them understand why you are doing as you are doing in school. You might not like math and not want to pursue a career in which it is an integral part, and that is completely fine, and it should be fine to for your parents. Furthermore, it is very common for people to do really badly in their first midterms, and that is in no way connected to ones abilities. What your parents are reacting on is the result, a number you got that represents how well you did on ONE test. It is in no way an indication on how well you will do in mathematics in the future.

That wasn't much advice, but I hope it helped :blum:

I got a 48% in my math HL IB mock exams, but pretty much 7s across the board for my other subjects, so I'm in a similar position to you. Just realize that a bad math grade isn't the end of the world. If you risk getting kicked out for a bad math grade--which, in my opinion, is the silliest thing I've ever heard--then I suggest you just go at it. 45% is a terrible grade, no doubt; there's no point trying to comfort you about that. My advice is to do a load of past papers, maybe two a week on a regular basis. Tutoring doesn't always work unless you're taking the initiative; most classmates I know who have tutors forced upon them by parents don't do well because they never cared in the first place.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself. You can still achieve your life goals without a good IB math grade.

• 1 month later...

My parents have gotten mad at me before for getting bad grades but certainly not to the extreme that your parents did :P I found grade 10 math to be pretty hard too. A lot of people did. So you're not the only one!

You had a bad exam. It happens to even the brightest of people. Really. Sadly there's nothing you can do about it down so you'll have to get over it. Relax, watch a movie, spend some time with your good friends, or better yet do something you're good at to give you a confidence boost. Just because you didn't do well in one course does not mean that you're worthless.

I recommend you take summer school to improve your mark. You'll need to take math in IB so you'll need to brush up on it anyways. If your school wants to kick you out of IB, tell them that your only bad course is math and show them a plan of action for getting better (ex. getting a tutor, retaking math in the summer, etc. ) You seem to like your school and pre-IB so don't give up yet! From what you've said you still seem to understand the value of education so that's a good thing :P

Good luck! ;) ;) I hope it works out for you, I really do. I had a hard time with math (still do) so I sort of understand how you feel. And as Desy mentioned, you can post your math questions in the math forum and we will try to help :P

Im sooooo sorry love!!!!! (over the internet hug) it'll be ok!, i promise......wait i might have lied on that one cause im from the US and I.B. here is a curse NOT a blessing so i dont really understand where your coming from on that

Edited by WaT hoMEworK!?!??