Action?

Imma Be

Okay,

so I have tons of creative and service hours but I have zero action hours.

I understand the point of service and creativity and I understand how they can be combined and stuff but what does action mean exactly?

If I don't do sports what can I do?

i.e. If I run a poetry program (which I do as creativity and service b/c it's free and i'm helping kids get better with their creative side) what can I add as action? Would action be me performing the poems? Bringing them to writing conventions? Just showing up to the meetings and talking and writing?

So if anybody could please help me out by telling me what action means according to the baove activity and what it means in general I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks ^__^

I have a friend that can't do sports cause he had a heart transplant. Its really sad:( but he normally does gym for a few hours every week. Apart from that he isn't able to do anything else. But i think if you don't want to do sports you can learn to dance:P

I have a friend that can't do sports cause he had a heart transplant. Its really sad:( but he normally does gym for a few hours every week. Apart from that he isn't able to do anything else. But i think if you don't want to do sports you can learn to dance:P

Sorry about your friend =/

I would dance, but (don't laugh!!) I have no rhythm. Trust me i've tried that one and was begged to never return.

Does Action really mean only like sports and dancing, stuff like that?

hehe well you can have dance classes.. the rhythm will eventually come to you. We had salsa at school :yes: I thought I could dance it cause normally i can dance, but it was completely new to me. Eventually i got the hang of it and i can dance it now :)

Well action refers to you actually doing some physical activity. You can't just be sitting there playing a video game and calling it action 8-)

You can always get a younger or older person to swim with you, and say that you were helping them with being physically fit.

Or you can organize a "Swim Day" among a medium sized group of friends (not too large lol) and say that you were promoting physical health and activity among your classmates.

The way I got my action hours was that I was on my schools Cross Country team, Junior Varsity lol.

Do you have any Intramural sports in your school? They don't require the rigorous devotion that "regular" sports do, and are more devoted to having fun than grueling competition lol.

Edited by JoeGuff

I agree with Jorge and JoeGuff.

You can also organise a charity event with your friends: build a class for a kindergarten or maybe a library. Well you don't build from nothing but you hire workers to build and you and your friends can do the finishing part, painting the walls and windows, doors, etc.. Or maybe you don't need to build a new one, just re-paint a building. We built a class for a kindergarten and we got both Action and Service hours :)

You can always get a younger or older person to swim with you, and say that you were helping them with being physically fit.

Or you can organize a "Swim Day" among a medium sized group of friends (not too large lol) and say that you were promoting physical health and activity among your classmates.

The way I got my action hours was that I was on my schools Cross Country team, Junior Varsity lol.

Do you have any Intramural sports in your school? They don't require the rigorous devotion that "regular" sports do, and are more devoted to having fun than grueling competition lol.

Hmmm, I think that I might do the swim day thing or maybe in another sport or something. I don't think my school has intramural sports...but i'll try to find out. It's a mega small school so I doibt it. But thanks!!! ^__^

I agree with Jorge and JoeGuff.

You can also organise a charity event with your friends: build a class for a kindergarten or maybe a library. Well you don't build from nothing but you hire workers to build and you and your friends can do the finishing part, painting the walls and windows, doors, etc.. Or maybe you don't need to build a new one, just re-paint a building. We built a class for a kindergarten and we got both Action and Service hours :)

Woah!! I wish I could do that. My school does not offer stuff like that. Did you do that for school or was it like your own thing?

I would love to know how you pulled that together.

Imma Be I also swim :) well I swim for my school and also for a club. I have gained 326hours in the last two years.

I think i'll start to put that down then. I would have a ton of hours then. ^__^

I have this Cystic Fibrosis walk that I do every year with my family, its like 2 hours long so not really enough but you can count after school activities that involve action.

Action as in movement? That's my issue most of you say action is doing an actual physical activity while others say that if you move around during an activity then it's action. thta's my issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Action in our school means "anything that makes you sweat".

Some people put down sports they do, dance classes, others put down gym time, personal running/exercise.

Someone combined their action and creative and made a new fitness DVD for the school.

For anyone in dire need, just get creative and make it into something you like/are able to do.

• 1 month later...

For my action hours I learnt to shoot rifles and shot in a county competiton, I learnt to canoe and finished with a 3 day 2 night canoe expeditions, I went on a canal boat a couple of times and I took up ice-skating for a bit.

I don't do any 'normal' sports so I found it difficult to find things that I could do, but you can eventually find something that you can fit to the brief!