Swear Filter

Grumps

Why do we have a swear filter? The people who view this forum should be, by definition, at least 16. The few who have got into IB at younger ages are in all likelihood ahead of their peers in terms of intelligence and maturity, so even that shouldn't be a problem. I think it's a little insulting to be subject to such childish a system, when clearly we are mature and intelligent individuals. Look at the discussion going in the debate forum! I don't think anyone's going to giggle too much if you let "****" be seen in all its vulgar glory.

It's not even a matter of being able to swear. It's a matter of principle. Why sacrifice any amount of clarity when the only reason against is absurdly irrational given the community?

• Like 3

Why do we have a swear filter? The people who view this forum should be, by definition, at least 16. The few who have got into IB at younger ages are in all likelihood ahead of their peers in terms of intelligence and maturity, so even that shouldn't be a problem. I think it's a little insulting to be subject to such childish a system, when clearly we are mature and intelligent individuals. Look at the discussion going in the debate forum! I don't think anyone's going to giggle too much if you let "****" be seen in all its vulgar glory.

It's not even a matter of being able to swear. It's a matter of principle. Why sacrifice any amount of clarity when the only reason against is absurdly irrational given the community?

I absolutely agree with you. In fact, there is a swear filter on but it's entirely possible that it's missing some words. I certainly feel we need a bit more moderation in the debate forum. It's a place for debate, not for profanity and yelling. We need to encourage users to report posts that break the rules, and perhaps add a moderator or two.

What do you suggest? ;)

• Like 2

I absolutely agree with you. In fact, there is a swear filter on but it's entirely possible that it's missing some words. I certainly feel we need a bit more moderation in the debate forum. It's a place for debate, not for profanity and yelling. We need to encourage users to report posts that break the rules, and perhaps add a moderator or two.

Oh. I suppose I was unclear but I was using the intelligence level of the debate in the debate forum as an example of the intellectual maturity of the forum goers. I guess we frequent different threads.

I'm not sure I understand your post. I mean to suggest that the swear filter be removed entirely, not appended.

Oh. I suppose I was unclear but I was using the intelligence level of the debate in the debate forum as an example of the intellectual maturity of the forum goers. I guess we frequent different threads.

I'm not sure I understand your post. I mean to suggest that the swear filter be removed entirely, not appended.

Why would you remove the swear filter? It's not there to "protect" users. It's there because I don't feel the swearing is necessary on the forum. There is absolutely no need to swear on a forum. I don't really care, but might as well not have a forum littered with bad language.

• Like 2

Hmmm a few weeks ago I randomly made a list in the shoutbox of any word I could think of and if I remember right almost 70% if not more around 80% of the words remained unfiltered. I see no problem with this filter because it's really not that strict except for a few of the "main" words. Really the only words that are filtered are those that really have no use in any argument except maybe a specific discussion over the word itself...

If I may say, I don't really see the point in removing the swear filter if it is not used anyway! It's not as if it bites or something. I kind of like the fact that nobody swears here and I'm convinced that having the filter removed would result in some swearing. And, well, some swearing>no swearing, so if I am allowed to give my opinion, then I'd say "Swear Filter Rock On!"

• Like 1