Decent safety schools?

timtamboy63

Hey guys,

First some background info:

I got 2200 on my SAT's, 800 in Maths.

For my 3 SAT II's, I plan to get roughly 750-800.

Im about to enter 2nd semester of IB1, so im not too sure what my scores will be, but im pretty sure i'll be predicted 7's and 6's, probably around 38-42..

I'm going to apply to MIT, Harvard, etc and I need a good safety school? Im an international student, so I don't have a state school in the US to go to.

Can you guys make any recommendations?

Edited by timtamboy63

I've actually always wanted to live in Canada, anyone know how the party scene is at McGill. There are three major factors which contribute to which university I want to go to.

1: Academics:They gotta be pretty great, and I'd like to meet smart people :D

2: Partying. I loooove parties, and clubbing :P

3: 'The nerd factor': Call me a geek, but I love tinkering, and making new stuff :D

4(extra): Girls. Pretty self explanatory there ;)

How would McGill shape up? Ideally, I wanna go to MIT, because if 1, and 3, and there are plently of girls and parties around because of Harvard :P

Haha, I like the way you think.

From what I hear, McGill has one of the best party scenes in Canada. Makes sense, since Montréal has Canada's best nightlife, and a club scene that can rival many of the big US cities. Also helps that Quebec's drinking age is 18, while in most other Canadian provinces it's 19.

With McGill, you'll have 1,2, and 4 down. I'm not sure how to judge 3 lol, but I suppose it depends on what faculty you're entering. I've pieced together that it's science; engineering?

Overall, I think McGill would make a pretty good safety school for you. You'll want to apply quick though, if you haven't yet.

Depending on what you want to study, there are many great State Schools you can apply to in the US. ;)

Although, the famous private schools in the US are usually better than the State schools.

Oh, to apply to some schools, you will need to take the SAT II tests that the university asks for.

If you apply without taking them, they will ask for you to send your scores. I know that mosts schools have a deadline for SAT/ACT tests, so look it up for the schools you want to go to. For most schools it's usually after the application deadline, but a month before the admission notification deadline. Each school is different, so make sure to check.

Edited by JoeGuff

Whoa, That's awesome. Okay then, time to add 3 more universities to my list ;)

What would you recommend out of: University of Washington, University of Chicago, University of Michigan

I'll apply to Brown as well then :P

I'd check those out before simply applying, but they are all very nice schools. I'm assuming you already decided Tulsa...

http://education-portal.com/top_100_engineering_schools.html might help too :P

There's 2 different types of engineering though, I actually forgot what they are...Desy would know, she's wanting to do engineering also.

Im thinking US only, Canada's too cold for me.

Btw, I thought McGill was good? Not a safety? What kinda scores would I need for McGIll?

Hahaha, Canada isn't cold - it depends on which area you live in. I live in Vancouver, for example, and the weather is mild all year round. We barely get any snow. There have even been years when we got no snow at all. If you're interested in Mcgill, well, Montreal has the weather extremes. In the summer it is blazing hot, and in the winter it snows and snows.