IB marking

albertc16

Hi, I'm taking SL math, and we just finished both our portfolios, and I got level 5 on both of them. Out of a possible score of 40 I got 28 (29 would put me in a level 6 range). Does that make it hard for me to get a level 7 on the course? Obviously I would have to do well on the exam, but how well? Thanks in advance :)

well it will reduce the probability of you getting a 7. But it does not mean a 7 wont be possible. You would have to get above 70% since the the 2 papers count more then the internal assessment. Just work hard and do a lot of papers. Practice makes perfect. Well it also makes permanent.hehe :)

Hi, I'm taking SL math, and we just finished both our portfolios, and I got level 5 on both of them. Out of a possible score of 40 I got 28 (29 would put me in a level 6 range). Does that make it hard for me to get a level 7 on the course? Obviously I would have to do well on the exam, but how well? Thanks in advance :austin:

I got exactly that mark on my portfolios in my first year of IB. And I got a 7 in the end, so yes it's possible, just make sure you make comfortable 7s in both paper 1 and paper 2. Actually, no one in my class got more than 29 points on the portfolios, but there were many 7s in my class.

EDIT: To clear any confusions: At my school both Math HL + SL students take SL the first year and give the exam at the end of the first year. HL students continue to the 2nd year for HL.

Edited by chrypton

Hahah I remember reading this yesterday but when I wanted to reply I couldn't find the thread :panic: now that I found it, I will explain it to you :lc:

My evaluation below are based on the IB Grade Boundaries 2010.

You got a 28 in your IA which gives you a 14% to your final grade. In order to get an IB7 in the final grade, you need to at least score a total of 84% -- out of which you have already had 14%. So you need to score at least 70% in your papers 1 and 2.

Through further calculations, you need to score at least 158 out of 180 in your papers 1 and 2 (a total of 90 marks each). For instance you can score 79 in each paper (which is an IB7 in both papers) and you will get a 7 in your final exams!

Conclusion: score at least 158/180 in your papers 1 and 2 :P

Good luck! :austin:

You got a 28 in your IA which gives you a 14% to your final grade. In order to get an IB7 in the final grade, you need to at least score a total of 84% -- out of which you have already had 14%. So you need to score at least 70% in your papers 1 and 2.

That's wrong, he needs to score just under 90 percent to achieve round about 70 overall which means that his 14 percent and his 70 percent will get him a 84 percent which actually could be just below a 7. It depends on the year.

Thought I've said that?

My evaluation below are based on the IB Grade Boundaries 2010.

I don't get what you are saying though. The grade boundaries stated that an overall of IB7 is 84% :austin: he already has 14% from the IA so he only needs to score the 70% in the papers 1 and 2.

The total mark in paper 1 is 90, same with paper 2. Each is multiplied by 0.444 to get the X% overall. Say he scores 158/180 in papers 1 and 2.

158*0.444=70.152%

70.152%+14%=84.152% which is an IB7

your mathematics are right. It's just that 158/180 is just under 90 percent. So he must score roughly 90 percent on both papers.

You said

So you need to score at least 70% in your papers 1 and 2.

No he needs to score roughly 90 percent for it to account for roughly 70 percent of his grade. I know what you meant and I know you're on the ball with your calculations but what you said is unclear. it might reassure him if he doesn't look at the numbers.

• Like 1

Ohh yeah correct :lc: haha I get what you're saying now.. :panic::austin:

So yes albertc16 you need to score roughly 90% in your papers 1 and 2 as Bishup said. And that is roughly 162/180 (just to make this even clearer :P). Just play safe, in case if the grade thresholds change much.

PS. Thanks a lot to my calculator

does it help that i'm almost a level 6? or will they just count it as a level 5 regardless of whether it was almost a level 6 or not :austin:

In your case, it would be between 28 points(high 5) and 29 points(low 6), so it does not matter much. Even though we get grades from 1 to 7, the IB operate purely with points when marks.