best Historical Fiction book?

pumkinns

• 3 weeks later...

They're not great in terms of historical accuracies, but the Tudor series by Phillippa Gregory is a pretty good read. She takes a lot of artistic license in all the books and it can be pretty glaring, but the plot is incredibly dense and engaging that after a while it does suck you in. The Other Boleyn Girl was the first book in a while that kept me reading through the night. (Don't see the movie. It's ridiculous).

I've actually just read a book called Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. She writes mainly Chinese historical fiction so unless you're interested in that it can be a little mind-boggling. Snow Flower is heartbreaking. It's a book that I would have liked to read all in one go, but it goes into issues that just make you put the book down and have to think about it and digest the injustice of it before you could go on.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved The Other Boleyn Girl! Very well-written.

I'm not one for teen books as a rule, but you simply must read Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly. Don't judge it by the cover, which is atrocious and there is no connection whatsoever (Josephine de Beauharnais isn't mentioned but once, and Napoleon, only thrice casually). It brings together the violence of the Revolution, with music of the epoch, and slightly annoying, yet touching, teenage issues. There are two story lines taking place--one in modern society (a teenage girl struggling with the loss of her brother), and one in the pre-Terror Revolution era. They work together quite well.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite historical fiction is by a Croatian female writer. Unfortunately, the books are only available in croatian, never been translated. Basically, Marija Juric Zagorka (the author) takes all of the old names of Croatian people and gives them the actual role in society that they had in the past, uses the old city layout, croatian superstitions, practices, etc. The only thing that is fictional is the story-line :P

Amazing... full of action, romance, death, witches, etc.

While I enjoy time period books, I really don't like historical fiction based on people, events (such as with the Tudors.) Sure, it may be fun to watch on TV, but I can't enjoy the book because I know it's "fake". Although, war books are to my liking, even though the last one I read that could be considered such was Alas, Babylon and that was more Sci-Fi lol. Also, that was two years ago. :P

Edited by JoeGuff

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Historical fiction is a vague category.

If you want to be techincal then the Conqueror series by Conn Iggulden isn't half bad.

A broader interpretation would certainly have to include

The Three Musketeers and War and Peace. While the plot of War and Peace definitely did not happen, a lot of it is based off of historical accounts.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

It really depends upon the type of historical fiction you like. Personally I liked pretty much all the Bernard Cornwell books, which almost always has the main character dealing with problems while being embroiled in war. For example, his Sharpe Series is about a soldier in the Napoleonic Wars, and he has to defeat a nemesis every book. It may be a bit too shallow to read for class, but it is a good way to pass time. On the other hand, if you want a book for class, then I think the Grail Quest Series (also by Cornwell) would be a good series to read. It has a lot of messages within and has a interesting plot. Hope it helped!