Math Portfolio Advice :))

Aerobti.99

Hi everyone! :D

So, we're all here for some sort of reason involving math, no? And I'm here because I am ABSOLUTELY STUCK in my portofolio!! :D

I only got the topic today, and I've read through it (it's about infinite surds- I'm taking Math SL btw) I understand what they want- like I understand what calculations I need to do and everything, I just have absolutely no idea on how to present it!

It's all about getting the marks to get a level 7 right? So my problem (and main concern :)) is I don't know what to put in it... my teacher is amazing and she didn't tell me **** about the portfolios and what the examiners are looking for ://

so if anyone has any advice on how they structured their portofolio, the order they set their calculations in, the kind of language they used etc, please let me know as right now I am as good as nothing :)

thankyou everyone!!! :)))

Edited by 2401 Tangents
don't avoid the swear filter

The best way you can do it is just try to answer the question directly. Explain your train of thought (I mean, everything that comes to mind) and show whatever calculations it leads you to, and use diagrams to illustrate when applicable. By the time you reach reach the end of the question, you'll have written enough (most likely more than enough, in which case you start cutting down). Then spend some time organising it. If you have no idea what you're doing, just google the topic (NOT THE ASSIGNMENT). Since you understand the calculations, just do them, explain why you're doing them, and explain what the results mean. In modelling, you'll be asked to point out assumptions and limitations as well. I don't know the specifics of your portfolio so I can only give a general response.

Edited by Gene-Peer
  • Like 1

The best way you can do it is just try to answer the question directly. Explain your train of thought (I mean, everything that comes to mind) and show whatever calculations it leads you to, and use diagrams to illustrate when applicable. By the time you reach reach the end of the question, you'll have written enough (most likely more than enough, in which case you start cutting down). Then spend some time organising it. If you have no idea what you're doing, just google the topic (NOT THE ASSIGNMENT). Since you understand the calculations, just do them, explain why you're doing them, and explain what the results mean. In modelling, you'll be asked to point out assumptions and limitations as well. I don't know the specifics of your portfolio so I can only give a general response.

thankyou so much! :) the topic is on infinite surds and they want us to find a general term for it etc., and then go onto applying it, testing it with other equations and other values for x.

I understand the question and what I have to do, I'm just unsure of how to present it, and what I had to say to get the marks (I'm aiming for 18 points and above). Would you say I should do each section of the question/task individually? Or should I show some sort of connection between each part of the question?

thankyou so much for your advice I really appreciate it! :D

If you can, it would be better to show a connection between each part of the question. So while you start a new question/section, explain how it links to the previous parts. In the end, your paper should look like a research paper, not just random exercises. Anyway, that is just my opinion; our teacher didn't tell us much either but it seemed straightforward to all of us. I never got to know my marks for the portfolios so don't take my advice as gospel lol.

explain, evaluate, contextualise and limitations. Take into account these 4 and you'll get a 7 no problem. BIG BIG BIG word of advise, try and finish it in the next 3 days and then go and review, do never ever leave a math IA or any IA to the last minute, you will feel like dying the evening before knowing that you haven't finished. TRUST ME on this, I experienced this on Monday, worst day of my LIFE. DO it, I can be your spiritual guide, but brutally plough your way through.

explain, evaluate, contextualise and limitations. Take into account these 4 and you'll get a 7 no problem. BIG BIG BIG word of advise, try and finish it in the next 3 days and then go and review, do never ever leave a math IA or any IA to the last minute, you will feel like dying the evening before knowing that you haven't finished. TRUST ME on this, I experienced this on Monday, worst day of my LIFE. DO it, I can be your spiritual guide, but brutally plough your way through.

haha never leave it to the last minute, got it. ;D thankyou so much! I have 10 days to do this I'll get started ASAP and I'll be back here as a pain in the ass if I get stuck ;P thankyou so much again for your help! :D