Is it just me or...?

AGBellamy

(Sorry if this is the wrong area- I'm having difficulties reading and understanding things at the moment because I'm ill)

Is it just me or do universities not understand how the IB is graded? Half of the UK universities I've looked at are asking for 30+ points and relatively few are asking for 20-something. I'm not sure about out-of-UK universities, but from the ones I've seen it's like they're being a bit random about how many points they're asking for.

In my opinion it's extremely variable. Some Universities have very high demands, some have very low demands and overall I'd agree that it doesn't really make much sense. Some are totally ridiculous (like all those places that want HL Maths grade 6+ and only an A or B at A Level... I mean, really?! :().

However, what I would say is that you have to set that against UCAS conversions for the IB which are really pretty generous at low levels. In my opinion somebody who could achieve BBC at A Level should be able to make 30 IB points. I went to a dual IB and A Level school and in my opinion the people who got 30 for the IB and roughly BBC for A Level were about as competent as each other.

To get between 20 and 30 in the IB when studying in the UK (where the IB points are your only goal, unlike in the USA etc.) in my opinion doesn't translate to stellar A Level grades.

Like I said at the beginning, though, the way the IB is rated depends on University, Department and Course to a large extent and I'd agree that a lot of the decisions are nonsensical.

• Like 1

You should be happy that the UK properly recognises the IB and has reasonable-ish requirements for the most part. Some countries don't even really know the IB that well, the fact that the IB opens all doors for Higher education in the world is a bit of a myth. It might be the case in the Anglophone world but in other places it is recognised but not even fully understood.

You do have to realised that under 30 points is a poor score and hence why universities seldom ask for less than 30.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that universities underestimate how hard the iB is. Even of you dont take HL math or physics, its not easy, It is almost impossible to get a 7 in HL economics because they deduct points from the most ridiculous and honest mistakes. I go to a school where I have to take the national educational program and the IB so i almost have no free time. They should consider that for every student the grades are relative.

I think that universities underestimate how hard the iB is. Even of you dont take HL math or physics, its not easy, It is almost impossible to get a 7 in HL economics because they deduct points from the most ridiculous and honest mistakes. I go to a school where I have to take the national educational program and the IB so i almost have no free time. They should consider that for every student the grades are relative.

Lol we had 5 people get 7s in econ hl last year, it's not that rare. IB do not deduct points for anything in any exam .. it works the other way around, each time you make a point that they have listen on the mark scheme they make a little tick and give you a point (hence writing more, given enough time, is generally a good strategy).

What concerns me a little more is the top grade requirements at good universities. Cambs, for example, asks for AAA at A-levels and 39 points at IB, minimum, and standard offer is usually A*AA and 42. I mean, they must be comparing top scores - like making 45 and A*A*A* equivalent - but it's ridiculous. If all unis used the UCAS tarrif we'd be the only ones in Oxbridge -_-

What concerns me a little more is the top grade requirements at good universities. Cambs, for example, asks for AAA at A-levels and 39 points at IB, minimum, and standard offer is usually A*AA and 42. I mean, they must be comparing top scores - like making 45 and A*A*A* equivalent - but it's ridiculous. If all unis used the UCAS tarrif we'd be the only ones in Oxbridge -_-

It's then all well that they do not use the UCAS tariff, because the IB is not really spectacularly more difficult or anything. Anyway, with Oxbridge, when applying grades don't seem to mean that much, given that you achieve a certain level (my director of studies wasn't even aware that I'd missed my offer). And all the talk about people in the IB being better prepared for university or something is rubbish. I mean sure, it's a good programme, but it does not make much of a difference. Maybe with the first essay you have a slight advantage, but after that the difference is insignificant and the workload is a lot more demanding anyway.

And to the person wondering why the HL requirements are often so hard: I'd imagine the universities want to see that you're especially good at the stuff you're going to do at uni (presumably the HL demands normally correspond to the courses you'd do at uni).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Okay well from my experience I agree the IB prerequisites for the UK seem to be exceptionally high.

I'm applying to Law and basically all of the kind of 'first tier' UK universities ask for an IB 38, that's pretty standard, regardless of the A Level grades required.

Fortunately for me my school have a policy where they do not disclose predicted grades to students, and I was really, really annoyed about it because I wasn't sure if I was applying to universities completely out of my reach. The interesting thing is I've received two conditional offers so far, and despite the websites for both universities blatantly stating the entry score is 38, I received one offer of 35 and one of 32!!!

So basically you shouldn't be deterred by a high IB entry score, they're going to look at other things as well, I got a pretty good SAT score as well which may have helped.

Just make sure you have a kickass personal statement and you'll probably do fine?

Also talking about the differences between A-Levels and IB... I don't even think you can compare them. IB lacks the flexibility of A-Levels where you can take subjects based on your ability. IB basically dictates 6 disciplines in which you must take courses, not to mention TOK, EE, CAS...they're just really different...

• 4 months later...

But you also have to agree that not all yunis are being fair.. I mean why do the say that we need at least 34-35 points (Edinburgh, psychology) and then reject the application? I mean, ok, my personal statement might have been wrong for them, burt in the justification of their decision they said my predicted grades were too low, WTF?! I had PG's of 41 total...

(Sorry if this is the wrong area- I'm having difficulties reading and understanding things at the moment because I'm ill)

Is it just me or do universities not understand how the IB is graded? Half of the UK universities I've looked at are asking for 30+ points and relatively few are asking for 20-something. I'm not sure about out-of-UK universities, but from the ones I've seen it's like they're being a bit random about how many points they're asking for.

It's true, the UK are still unfamiliar with the IB, Im applying for art and my ib requirements compared to the A level requirements are ridiculous

It's true, the UK are still unfamiliar with the IB, Im applying for art and my ib requirements compared to the A level requirements are ridiculous

What do you mean? I've applied to film production and everywhere in UK it was below 30 points... So I think when it comes to art courses the grades requirements are really low and that's a major plus of IB.