I've been wondering if i've made the right decisions about my HL/ SL choices

im doing

Math HL

Physics HL

Geography HL

English SL

French B (SL)

Art SL

i'm not sure what i really want to do yet, perhaps an engineering course of some kind. i would like to study in Europe however. being fluent in German and English i would be able to study in much of europe. am i making the right decisions? would it be better for me to study in canada? although im taking my SAT's i dont want to go to the USA, of should i?

people have told me that taking both math and physics at HL is suicide, im alright for now but my teachers say that it is going to get harder.... is really suicide?? it doing these at HL worth it??

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No text speak, thanks- Maha :)

Well Physics and Math HL are definitely some of the hardest subjects in all of IB.

If you really want to be an engineer, and the types of colleges you want to go to prefer that you take specific IB courses to get in to their programs, then stay with what you have. :rofl:

In the US, they really don't care what IB courses you take, as long as you meet general criteria, like having took at least 3 sciences in all of High School, etc. Some colleges may

Also, what college you want to go to depends entirely upon you. :P There are many great schools around the world, all with their specialties, and even specialties within specialties lol. Pick the one that best interests you.

Also, if you REALLY want to go with the engineering route, I would say to pick another subject besides Art. It can really be anything, it's just that some colleges may have preferred if you took another, more traditional class.

Don't worry, I have complete respect to those who take Art, it's a very valuable subject and I mean no offense. XD

Edited by JoeGuff

im doing

Math HL

Physics HL

Geography HL

English SL

French B (SL)

Art SL

i'm not sure what i really want to do yet, perhaps an engineering course of some kind. i would like to study in Europe however. being fluent in German and English i would be able to study in much of europe. am i making the right decisions? would it be better for me to study in canada? although im taking my SAT's i dont want to go to the USA, of shud i?

people have told me that taking both math and physics at HL is suicide, im alright for now but my teachers say that it is going to get harder.... is is really suicide?? it doing these at HL worth it??

Math HL and Physics HL is not suicide. It's just hard. I know people in my class who are taking those (on top of Chemistry HL). Though I would not recommend it, you (and my "suicidal" friends) do want to go into Engineering, so it's almost required. As JoeGuff said, US colleges don't really care what classes you take in IB, as long as you perform well in them, do well on SAT, and have a well-rounded extracurricular personality. I would suggest, if you would like to study in the US, keep this schedule.

I am not familiar with the admissions process in Canada or Europe, but I do know they look much more into your IB years than the US does. European colleges tend to look at predicted scores and, therefore, your courses, so I would suggest if you want to study Engineering in Europe, switch Art SL for Chemistry. What you could do is switch Physics to SL and, instead of Art SL, take Chemistry HL. Chemistry is hard, considered one of the three "hardest in IB," but in my opinion, it is easier than Physics. Unless you're very good at Physics.

It also comes down to how good you are in those subjects. I'm more creative than I am mathematical, so I took Art HL instead of Physics SL. Play to your strengths.

Look up some colleges in some of the countries you would like to study and just glance over their admissions requirements. This should give you some idea for your subjects.

Well Physics and Math HL are definitely some of the hardest subjects in all of IB.

If you really want to be an engineer, and the types of colleges you want to go to prefer that you take specific IB courses to get in to their programs, then stay with what you have. XD

In the US, they really don't care what IB courses you take, as long as you meet general criteria, like having took at least 3 sciences in all of High School, etc. Some colleges may

Also, what college you want to go to depends entirely upon you. :) There are many great schools around the world, all with their specialties, and even specialties within specialties lol. Pick the one that best interests you.

Also, if you REALLY want to go with the engineering route, I would say to pick another subject besides Art. It can really be anything, it's just that some colleges may have preferred if you took another, more traditional class.

Don't worry, I have complete respect to those who take Art, it's a very valuable subject and I mean no offense. :)

thanks for the reply :)

im not 100% sure about the engineering, i really other subjects as well, like art and geography, and im a dancer. the school which i go to is VERY small and therefor we dont have very many options, i thought taking art and getting a good score would show the college that i was a 'well rounded' student or that i have a creative side too. something like that lol.

there are so many universities out there, i dont even know where to begin... its such a big decision... so life changing... so SCARY!! :rofl:

im doing

Math HL

Physics HL

Geography HL

English SL

French B (SL)

Art SL

i'm not sure what i really want to do yet, perhaps an engineering course of some kind. i would like to study in Europe however. being fluent in German and English i would be able to study in much of europe. am i making the right decisions? would it be better for me to study in canada? although im taking my SAT's i dont want to go to the USA, of shud i?

people have told me that taking both math and physics at HL is suicide, im alright for now but my teachers say that it is going to get harder.... is is really suicide?? it doing these at HL worth it??

Math HL and Physics HL is not suicide. It's just hard. I know people in my class who are taking those (on top of Chemistry HL). Though I would not recommend it, you (and my "suicidal" friends) do want to go into Engineering, so it's almost required. As JoeGuff said, US colleges don't really care what classes you take in IB, as long as you perform well in them, do well on SAT, and have a well-rounded extracurricular personality. I would suggest, if you would like to study in the US, keep this schedule.

I am not familiar with the admissions process in Canada or Europe, but I do know they look much more into your IB years than the US does. European colleges tend to look at predicted scores and, therefore, your courses, so I would suggest if you want to study Engineering in Europe, switch Art SL for Chemistry. What you could do is switch Physics to SL and, instead of Art SL, take Chemistry HL. Chemistry is hard, considered one of the three "hardest in IB," but in my opinion, it is easier than Physics. Unless you're very good at Physics.

It also comes down to how good you are in those subjects. I'm more creative than I am mathematical, so I took Art HL instead of Physics SL. Play to your strengths.

Look up some colleges in some of the countries you would like to study and just glance over their admissions requirements. This should give you some idea for your subjects.

gosh... u see, i took chemistry and art in IGCSE so i faced the decision in IB, which one i was going to pick, i was jumping back and forth for a while and then decided for art because i simply enjoy it a lot more than chemistry. but then i really like math and physics, so, yeaaa...

and art just seemed like a great escape from IB work for a while, a relief

not that you and JoeGuff have both suggested taking chemistry instead, im starting to resent my decision; however, i may not get into engineering... i may do something a bit more creative.

thanks for the input :P

im doing

Math HL

Physics HL

Geography HL

English SL

French B (SL)

Art SL

gosh... u see, i took chemistry and art in IGCSE so i faced the decision in IB, which one i was going to pick, i was jumping back and forth for a while and then decided for art because i simply enjoy it a lot more than chemistry. but then i really like math and physics, so, yeaaa...

and art just seemed like a great escape from IB work for a while, a relief

not that you and JoeGuff have both suggested taking chemistry instead, im starting to resent my decision; however, i may not get into engineering... i may do something a bit more creative.

thanks for the input :rofl:

You're right about Art being a change of pace. I enjoy it everyday, although some days it has its own priorities, as in it has a lot of work. But, in my opinion, it's more rewarding. In the end, you have a few fabulous pieces that you just might have fallen in love with, as well as an IWB or two that documents your journey through Art. It's not an easy subject, but it is in a sense, in that there is no exam. This is what pushed me towards Art.

So if you really enjoy it, I'd suggest go for Art. I wasn't sure if you were taking Art just because it was "easy" but due to your experience and interest in Art in IGCSE, I wouldn't take you for that type of student.

Good luck choosing!

I studied Physics HL Math HL and Art HL. I too am looking into doing engineering. I think Chem is a good class to take but art like many of you said is a good change of pace. I also believe that taking art HL is a good way to get an HL out of the way. If you enjoy doing art Art HL is not any harder than SL. At my school almost nobody does art SL.

Or if you do Chem instead of art it gives you the opportunity to do an after school class of art ( if your school has one) Lots of kids at my school did that and were able to get many creativity hours out of the way.

Good luck!

First of all, I'd say that your current choices are good. Math & Physics HL are perfect choices, keep them at HL. I am taking both HL and Chemistry SL, and I am okay although I have some difficulties in time management to finish my lab reports. Math HL is fun if you love Math. Physics HL is easy if you are good at Math. 3 out of 4 Math HL students in my school are taking Physics HL. The other one is doing SL. In fact a lot of people out there do take both HL and still do well, so don't be afraid, be certain to take both. Of course people who are not taking both will scare you, but some people who are/were taking them might be doing well and love it :P

Do you love Geography very much? Do you love Art more than Geog? I'd say that Geog HL & Art SL are good choices, but I think it would be better if you take Art HL if you want to do something artistic in uni. As The 45 said, it's not any harder than SL anyway so you might consider doing it unless you enjoy Geog more than Art.

Taking English A1 SL is a good choice because language A1 SL has been hard and taking it HL would be even harder. French B SL would be great if you do not really need it or if you are not so fluent in French.

I am also thinking of studying engineering in uni but I am not sure yet because that is not really of my interest. However I am still taking Math & Physics HL because I am good at those :rofl: so I'd suggest you to take subjects that you like. Do not take subjects that you do not really like unless you need them in uni, or you will end up not liking your subjects, like me.

There are some good unis in Europe but nothing is wrong with trying to apply to USA or Canada. Like the more uni you apply to, the greater the chance that you get into a uni. Try looking at various uni ranking tables and see which ones interest you.

We do not share many IB courses, so I can't help you with if you made good choices with your IB course selection. However, I believe that German colleges require you to have taken History? You should double check this and if so see if you can switch Art or Geography for History.

I haven't read the above posts, however:

If you are fluent in german and english, why don't you take German instead of French? Doing fluent languages for IB A1 and A2, is an advantage..at least that's what I think.

You are thinking of engineering, so your choice of Physics HL is right. Did you ask about what the majority of european universities requires for Maths? Because perhaps they will require at least chemistry SL, in which case you may want to switch to Math SL. That being said, I believe engineering requires Math HL, but no harm in asking. Just make sure of the chemistry issue.

About the suicide thing, we say HL: Physics, Chemistry and Math..is a suicide. However people have done these 3 subjects and got good IB scores and got into Medicine and engineering. :P

I am not familiar with the admissions process in Canada or Europe, but I do know they look much more into your IB years than the US does.

Canadian universities are a bit of a wild card. I know the nearest university to me accepts a 5 as a twentieth percentile mark and will give you credit for a 6 or higher.

But I've also heard of someone who got a specific scholarship due to her CAS and EE so its a weird combo of marks and in depth analysis of what you did.