Question: How many CAS activities per C/A/S

Guest LauraheartsLife

Guest LauraheartsLife

So, the IB coordinator at our school has told us that we have to complete 3 activities for each section so we do nine in total.

The question is; do the IBO actually ask for this or is it just him making it difficult ?

Thanks in advance for any replies =D

I don't think it really matters whether the IBO says you have to or your coordinator just decided that it is the best thing to do. Some CAS coordinators seem to think that all students should do 80hrs per C/A/S, some think that the IBO requirement(50/each) is enough. I can't really answer your question, but since no one has ever told us to do at least 3 activities per C/A/S, I don't think that it is a requirement from the IBO. They do tell us that it would be BETTER if we did more activities, but no one gets warnings or anything because they do as little as possible.

However, the best thing to do with it is probably just to listen to your CAS coordinator, since he/she probably(i sure hope) knows what are the best moves to do when it comes to CAS.

My coordinator said the same. However, i know that some people in my school do 9, but most of them less. But what I understood was that we don't have to do it in the same time (in IB there is not enough of free/CAS time^^), rather then it's good to change your C/A/S after the 6 month (=long therm). I just suppose that the only thing it can have influence on is my final CAS note, nothing more :D And when you ask how it is in the other schools, it's very dependable, because for example I have to write the cas book (the reflection book) and give it to my coordinator every term to check it, but my friend who is in another IB school in my city doesn't have to that. So I just guess that it is the inner decision.

does it really matter? I mean 9 isn't awfully hard is it?

Why do people keep on complaining about CAS? It's like the easiest bit of IB.

If a person cannot even fork out 150 hours of their time to do extra curricular activities, then they shouldn't be an IB student, they should go do A levels.

I don't know if people complain about CAS :lol: I thought it's more like information exchange. It's easy to do 9 or more different things during two years, but during a week it would mean that after lessons and at weekends you are doing only cas, but it also depends on what are you in fact doing and how much time does one activity takes? if 1 h then I can imagine doing e.g. 3 different sports, but if one take 3 h then it could be difficult (but maybe just for me;p )

does it really matter? I mean 9 isn't awfully hard is it?

Why do people keep on complaining about CAS? It's like the easiest bit of IB.

If a person cannot even fork out 150 hours of their time to do extra curricular activities, then they shouldn't be an IB student, they should go do A levels.

Mmmm I beg to differ. Although it is considered easy by some people - it's not easy for everyone. For me it is really easy thanks to my CAS supervisor, but some people really need to work for it. And 150 hours is a lot considering that you have to do all sorts of IB work on top of CAS. So I don't think it's fair to say that just because someone finds CAS really annoying and difficult they should do the A levels...

Guest LauraheartsLife

Wow some people here are quite *****y, yes it is kinda hard because of the amount to right up every time we do a few hours.

I have near enough my 150 hours already but just not 3 activities for each, the school doesn't really give us that much help with activities.

And I disagree with the comment that people who can't find time should take A Levels.

But thanks for the replies anway :]

IB students take initiative. They are pro-active. I think they should put in a maximum instead of a minimum. It should be expected that all IB students are contributing members of society and are preforming service to their community because they wish to and not because of the possibility of failing IB.

IB students take initiative. They are pro-active. I think they should put in a maximum instead of a minimum. It should be expected that all IB students are contributing members of society and are preforming service to their community because they wish to and not because of the possibility of failing IB.

Forester, not everyone considers school to be such a high priority! Your opinion is like from the IBO handbook and I must say that you're going a bit too far with the "maximum instead of a minimum"! For example, if someone plays soccer at a competitive level and wants to become a professional, he/she won't be able to put in a maximum into the IB.

And besides, why should she suffer from CAS more than the rest of us who get it easy?

exactly! school is not a priority. but extracurricular activities are.

I used the exaggeration "I think they should put in a maximum instead of a minimum" to illustrate my point. I didn't mean for you to take it seriously.

maybe the reason im so relaxed with CAS is because its effortless. Everything I do can be incoperated into CAS.

Out to play pool : Action

Watching a movie with mates: Creativity

Tutoring a friend who is confused about a subject: Service

IB put in the CAS thing for a reason. It's suppose to turn us into better people, not people who complain about it.

why do u get it easy? You aren't achieving anything by taking it easy. Not for yourself or anyone else.

Aboo and Harmonicgirl all agree that doing 9 activities over the course of 2 years is very easy. i don't see what the fuss is about.

...Out to play pool : Action

Watching a movie with mates: Creativity

Tutoring a friend who is confused about a subject: Service...

Seriously, you can do that as your CAS?

No wonder it's easy for you! T.T..

...I wonder if I can apply for watching a movie as creativity, I'd literally spend 50 hours there just to get rid of my creative... I have no idea what I can do for it. :lol:

Seriously, you can do that as your CAS?

No wonder it's easy for you! T.T..

...I wonder if I can apply for watching a movie as creativity, I'd literally spend 50 hours there just to get rid of my creative... I have no idea what I can do for it. :lol:

people in my school have to make some sort of crew that watch movies together under "controlled circumstances", together with their 18+ supervisor... Dunno if anyone does it this year though... My point is, however, that it's not just to pop in a movie and watch it(at least not here), it has to be planned and the supervisor has to participate in the watching... :)

... My point is, however, that it's not just to pop in a movie and watch it(at least not here), it has to be planned and the supervisor has to participate in the watching... :)

Yeah. :) I know you have to be supervised and stuff... :lol:

But I wish that wasn't the case!

well I run a film appreciation club. We screen films during school and sometimes go to the movies. We have an adult supervisor, our English a1 teacher, who is also a movie fanatic. We spend literally 5 minutes talking about it the next day during class and that's our reflection done.

• 2 weeks later...