Question: How many CAS activities per C/A/S

Guest LauraheartsLife

So, the IB coordinator at our school has told us that we have to complete 3 activities for each section so we do nine in total.

The question is; do the IBO actually ask for this or is it just him making it difficult ?

Thanks in advance for any replies =D

It's just him making it difficult. You have to have a total of 150 community and service hours divided up evenly (50 Action (only 30 can be from sports), 50 Service, and 50 creativity)

At my school, there is no required number of activities.

If you play a varsity sport, well there are 50 action hours automatically.

I have friends who take cooking classes, and they used those hours for creativity.

Service hours are easy. They are everwhere. Become a tutor, mentor, or my personal favorite house a foreign exchange student. :-D (yes, my school gives us 50 service hours for that)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.. I partially agree with Forester, it isn't terribly difficult to get 150 hour up over the 2 years. (Doing the journals is another thing, but thats just coz I'm slack :P )

A question, not completely related to the topic but CAS orientated: is it true that you have to have at least 75 hours done by the end of IB1? Is that what the IBO wants or is that my CAS co-ordinator being anal?

A question, not completely related to the topic but CAS orientated: is it true that you have to have at least 75 hours done by the end of IB1? Is that what the IBO wants or is that my CAS co-ordinator being anal?

For every coordinator it's different (I think) I can't get over 100 in the first year...

Ugh. :P I can't believe how slack your coordinators are. I can only get 12 hours for each activity I do. So I have to do like 5 activities for each area and all those CAS forms...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So, the IB coordinator at our school has told us that we have to complete 3 activities for each section so we do nine in total.

The question is; do the IBO actually ask for this or is it just him making it difficult ?

Thanks in advance for any replies =D

My CAS adviser said the same.. but it's not an IBO rule as far as I know. They can't deny you your diploma if you do 50 hours of basketball and no other activities for athletics.

My CAS adviser said the same.. but it's not an IBO rule as far as I know. They can't deny you your diploma if you do 50 hours of basketball and no other activities for athletics.

They can't? We got this paper where it said that you can engage max. 20 service, action and creativity hours respectively in each single project.. i.e., you cannot get credit for 50 hours of basket ball, however if you coach kids in basket ball, you can earn at least 40 hours, 20 action, 20 service, maybe a little creativity too.