MATHEMATICAL STUDIES

saleen

Hi!

I saw some topics on math studies, and thought I should start a general topic in mathematical studies...

I want to know who has taken math st and what they're planning on studying later on at uni? I would like to know exactly which careers crave Math SL and HL..

I live in sweden and math ST works fine to work in law, economy and most socially related subjects! On the other hand Math SL and HL are required to become a doctor, and engineer and financial advisor... basically! What are your thoughts on the subject? How far do you think math studies will take IB students?

I myself am changing from SL to ST.. I figured that I rather get a 6 or 7 in ST then basically failing Math SL ... I want to become a stylist, and I think it's important to have a good education behind me just in case I would like to change careers later on! If I don't study to become a stylist then I want to work in economy or law.. Which all I need is studies, in Sweden at least.

Let me know what you think!

:)

hey!

i am doing maths st and I wanna go into journalism/masscommunication/media studies in the future :)

Its actually dependant on the uni you are applying for. For example, architecture, some will require only SL maths and some will require HL. For sure doing SL maths will give you a broader advantage if you would like to get into anything maths related (engineering, architecture and such). But because maths and I arent exactly the best combination, I fit best into st and I dont really need it for what I would like to go into :S

To my knowledge, it depends more on where you would like to study rather than what career you would like to study. In some situations, your math choice has no correlation with your potential career.

For example, my friend's dad is part of a financial advising company and the material his son is studying in Math HL is not what he is using at all. But my friend wants to study at a top-tier university in the U.S. (he's aiming at Harvard, Yale, etc.), so he wants the advantage of taking Math HL.