Law school (Cambridge?)

sprintdominator

To be honest, you'd be better of with essay-based higher levels. You'll have to show high competency in language, so English A1 HL would be good, or English A2 HL, depending on what your first language is. History might also be a good idea, because it involves heave reading and writing (well, heavy at high school level anyway).

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sprintdominator, I think you should definitely go for it. I'm doing Physics, Maths and Econ at HL and I've applied for Law courses in the UK starting in 2012. In fact I've got an offer already.

People always say that you benefit from taking essay-based subjects before doing a Law course, but really, it doesn't matter what courses you do beforehand in high school. If you look at the prerequisites listed on the official websites of universities, you'll find that they never require you to have done an essay-based subject.

• 2 weeks later...

What law do you want to do because you can only work outside the UK if you do International law or some kind of foreign law.

That is completely untrue. You can learn British law and then go ahead and practise in other jurisdictions depending on the rules of entry in other countries with a UK law education. In the Commonwealth countries, as the OP is from one, the law system is closely tied to the UK system and there are loads of similarities, which is why a UK Law education is not only accepted but also lauded.

I have applied for law school at cambridge (queen's college) and was just wondering, does everyone get an interview?

Best of luck!

sprintdominator, I think you should definitely go for it. I'm doing Physics, Maths and Econ at HL and I've applied for Law courses in the UK starting in 2012. In fact I've got an offer already.

People always say that you benefit from taking essay-based subjects before doing a Law course, but really, it doesn't matter what courses you do beforehand in high school. If you look at the prerequisites listed on the official websites of universities, you'll find that they never require you to have done an essay-based subject.

One thing I've realised after coming to Law school, every one only cares about getting in and they think they're 'set' after that, that's not true at all. Getting into a good Law School is the easy part, surviving it, not so much.

If you haven't had major essay-based subjects in the past, I imagine you will suffer more than your peers though. Primarily because all you do in Law school is read, read, read, read, and write essays. A science course does not prepare you for that. IB History and English A1 HL did prepare me (to some extent) for what Law school has thrust at me since starting here. Just saying.

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2

One thing I've realised after coming to Law school, every one only cares about getting in and they think they're 'set' after that, that's not true at all. Getting into a good Law School is the easy part, surviving it, not so much.

If you haven't had major essay-based subjects in the past, I imagine you will suffer more than your peers though. Primarily because all you do in Law school is read, read, read, read, and write essays. A science course does not prepare you for that. IB History and English A1 HL did prepare me (to some extent) for what Law school has thrust at me since starting here. Just saying.

I probably don't know enough about university law courses to say this, but... I understand that essay-based subjects help in the literal aspect, but I think the logical skills gained from studying sciences are useful, too. I might have to brush up on my essay-writing skills in the future, but I don't think my subject choices will disadvantage me too much.

I think this way because:

• I have a friend who finished IB in the same year as you and took Chemistry, Physics and Maths at HL. He's also doing Law in the UK and he seems to be managing fine.
  • Both my solicitor parents took totally different subjects at A-Level. My mother studied similar subjects as my HL subjects, while my father took essay-based subjects as you did. Both of them went through university fine, and got their qualifications on their first attempt.

But what do I know, I'm still in IB :S

I probably don't know enough about university law courses to say this, but... I understand that essay-based subjects help in the literal aspect, but I think the logical skills gained from studying sciences are useful, too. I might have to brush up on my essay-writing skills in the future, but I don't think my subject choices will disadvantage me too much.

I think this way because:

• I have a friend who finished IB in the same year as you and took Chemistry, Physics and Maths at HL. He's also doing Law in the UK and he seems to be managing fine.
  • Both my solicitor parents took totally different subjects at A-Level. My mother studied similar subjects as my HL subjects, while my father took essay-based subjects as you did. Both of them went through university fine, and got their qualifications on their first attempt.

But what do I know, I'm still in IB :S

Like I said, you will suffer more than your peers. That doesn't discount the fact that your peers who have done essay-based subjects will suffer as well. In the beginning you will face some difficulty, but I imagine you're bright and you will get over it quickly and bridge the gap quickly. Also as an IB student you have an intrinsic advantage to the A-Level students, we're just better at multi-tasking and still finding a way to procrastinate through it all.

Don't read too much into it, at the end of the day, what you've studied in the IB is irrelevant.

• Like 1