World Lit. Books

Wide Sargasso Sea (terrible, I hated every thing about it)

Aw, really? I loved that book! Then again, I detest "Heart of Darkness", but all of my friends love it...

World Lit 1

- Love in the time of Cholera

- Metamorphosis

- Pride and Prejudice

- A Doll's House

I REALLY didn't like Metamorphosis...

• 3 weeks later...

I did Wrld Lit 1 on Faust and Crime and Punishment. If you think Crime and Punishment's bad, I agree with you, but let me tell you... Faust is 100x worse. I have to check on the number of pages Faust has, but I'm pretty sure it's longer, too. That's what you get when your teacher is a nerd =(

• 5 weeks later...

my class did the metamorphosis (kafka) siddhartha (hesse) and the white castle (pamuk).

the first two were okay, i really liked siddhartha.

but the white castle is not very good.

i was very confused all the time and i couldn't compare it easily to the two other books for my World Lits so i ended up just analyzing it on its own.

Metamorphosis (Franz Kafka), Chronicle of a Death Foretold (Gabriel Garcia Marquez), and House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende)

Metamorphosis was extremely difficult for me to get through

Chronicle of a Death Foretold was amazing. I mean amazing. I loved it.

House of the Spirits was long, but not too bad. Although I have yet to finish it.

Metamorphosis, Siddhartha, Pedro Paramo.

I liked Meta because it was short (~50 pages) and easy to understand, and Siddhartha was really peaceful and sweet. Pedro Paramo just made me want to rip the book up with the time flashing back and forth and the plethora of characters.

• 2 weeks later...
yea most of the IB list is around inequality for some Godforsaken reason :) well things dealing with personal issues I guess could be Death of a Saleseman, Hamlet (for Shakespeare) Chronicle of a death foretold didn't have much inequality issues XD that's a really good book! also same author try a hundred years of solitude (mind blowing novel! I could write a book about it :( )

IB list for World Lit books? Do you have any idea where I could find this? I have asked my English teacher, but no response. Also, what are your opinions of The Stranger by Albert Camus? (it’s our summer reading book). Most of the books mentioned ( i.e.: Death of a Salesman, Macbeth, etc) are the ones we've already read in high school; have you ever been in a similar situation, and read the book again in the IB years? I love those books, though I wouldn't mind reading others: D Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Our WLs were

Medea - really boring, would have preferred some other Antique drama

Crime and Punishment - Love it!

Like Water for Chocolate - I was probably the only one in my class who enjoyed it

Thérèse Raquin - the most appalling book I've ever seen!

The Reader - interesting, but so sad...

Then in German, we've read The Metamorphosis and now we're reading Faust. I certainly don't envy those who have The Metamorphosis as an A1 book :)

Edited by Tilia

For WL1 we have -

Antigone (good, once you understand it a little better)

Like Water for Chocolate (really good)

School For Wives (boring)

And I know that our other WL book is Smilla's Sense of Snow, and i'll probably be doing this one for WL2 because i'm using Antigone and LWFC in WL1 and I hate School for Wives.

• 1 month later...

Our school has three different 'themes', and three different books in those themes.

1. Family, Identity and Change

• Like Water for Chocolate
  • The House of the Spirits
  • Paradise of the Blind

I'm doing this one, and I really loved the first two, the last one, not so much.

2. Individual vs. Society

• The Outsider
  • The Elephant Vanishes
  • Antigone

From what I've heard, this one's not too bad either.

3. Conflict

1. Memory for Forgetfulness
  2. Broken April
  3. Mother Courage & her Children