World Lit. Books

To see if I'm interested in one to recommend to my teacher. I want something existential, something new. I'm not too happy with the selections; we were suppose to read Othello, which I was very excited for, but they changed it to Venus and Adonis. I loved Venus and Adonis, but that's the thing, I've read it. I want to get more familiar with Shakespeare but I don't think I can do it alone. We were also suppose to read Inferno, but they also changed that to some other book there.

What I like about Shakespeare, The Stranger, Perfume and Inferno is that they deal with personal issues. I can relate to them more. The books we've been reading and those that await are mostly about political, racial, and gender inequality. I don't mind them but I'd like a change.

To see if I'm interested in one to recommend to my teacher. I want something existential, something new. I'm not too happy with the selections; we were suppose to read Othello, which I was very excited for, but they changed it to Venus and Adonis. I loved Venus and Adonis, but that's the thing, I've read it. I want to get more familiar with Shakespeare but I don't think I can do it alone. We were also suppose to read Inferno, but they also changed that to some other book there.

What I like about Shakespeare, The Stranger, Perfume and Inferno is that they deal with personal issues. I can relate to them more. The books we've been reading and those that await are mostly about political, racial, and gender inequality. I don't mind them but I'd like a change.

That's true, I was kinda looking forward to read Othello, but you gotta understand that it was because the teacher that was the english teacher last year, Mrs. Bales (she's the devil herself! Oh and she's coming back for us next year :) ), was really tough and gave us all those cool hard books. But now that we have this crappy teacher and Mrs. Wilson who's OK but new, they decided to do something easier. But at least I"m happy that we're done reading those stupid books on racial and sexist issues, the House is an interesting book...too bad I read it already, in Spanish (much better in spanish than in english), and my teacher is making me reanotate the whole book, because i had it annotated in spanish.

yea most of the IB list is around inequality for some Godforsaken reason :) well things dealing with personal issues I guess could be Death of a Saleseman, Hamlet (for Shakespeare) Chronicle of a death foretold didn't have much inequality issues :) that's a really good book! also same author try a hundred years of solitude (mind blowing novel! I could write a book about it :) )

yea most of the IB list is around inequality for some Godforsaken reason :P well things dealing with personal issues I guess could be Death of a Saleseman, Hamlet (for Shakespeare) Chronicle of a death foretold didn't have much inequality issues :D that's a really good book! also same author try a hundred years of solitude (mind blowing novel! I could write a book about it :D )

I'm going to read Death of a Salesman in preparation for Synecdoche, New York, Charlie Kaufman's new film. Charlie is the screenwriter of Eternal Sunshine, a masterpiece in my opinion, and other works that haven't received enough acclaim such as Human Nature, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, and Being John Malkovich. The one I think you might like, Lc, is Adaptation. It takes us through the struggles of adapting a book into a film while still maintaining your personal style. I don't think you'll regret watching it.

I'm interested in comparing and contrasting a hundred years of solitude to the house of the spirits. I have a feeling Marquez influenced Allende. I've heard 100 years is one of those love it or hate it books. Similar purpose of themes to The House of the Spirits, so I'm sure I'll like it.

I'm in English A1 HL and I've already done my first world lit and I started on my second. Last year we read a bunch of books, and the ones we had available for our papers were Huck Finn, House of the Spirits, Krik? Krak!, Their Eyes Were Watching God and Diamond Dust. I did House of the Spirits and Krik? Krak!, and House of the spirits for my IOP. It was an amazing book and pretty ripe with anything you would need for these two IAs. This year I was given a very lazy teacher and we've only read Inferno, Siddartha, and the Aenied. I'm doing my second paper on Inferno and Siddartha, and both have a bunch of similarities so I don't think it should be too hard. I wish we had been given a choice in what we could read but our school is pretty strict about syllabus and stuff. And ezex still doesn't understand that the same books I read last year with Mrs. Bales he is reading this year with his teacher, as our school has kept the same list. Othello is an amazing play, and I have loads of notes on that and Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass for my IOC this year. Really helpful. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Jebus... my english teacher is saying we're doing one WL per quarter (since we're in our last semester of Junior year). I was wondering if everyone has the same works as we do? I know my teacher gave out a list of works/syllabus. But it's really weird; it starts at Works part 4 or something like that... So far we've done

Robert Browning & Dylan Thomas poetry

A Doll's House

Death of a Salesman

Master Harold and the boys

We're now reading

From Sleep Unbound

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Word! This dictation in World Literature texts is horrible. I wish we could take Metamorphosis by Kafka - but no.

We have the following world literature books:

Mirad, a boy from Bosnia & King Oedipus = Great!!

The Outsider = Sounds good

Medea = Okay

If this is a man = I'm not even going to read this... it has 398 pages and it doesn't sound too interesting (jews in ww2), but even if it was - 398 pages is too much!

I had The Outsider, not my thing. I still don't understand it really lol, but at least it won't be on my exams so I don't care ^_^ .

And 398 pages? Try 600 pages. Yeahhh, that's how long Crime and Punishment is. :)

For us so far-

World Lit -

The Metamorphosis (I haven't read it yet)

The Stranger (I disagree with everything in the book, so it was hard for me to even start to like it)

A Doll's House (I disagreed with everything the characters did and found them stupid, but it was not bad, for a play)

Ones for Oral (I think, but don't know, we just read these) -

The Great Gatsby (not too bad, odd plot and time, but interesting)

Wide Sargasso Sea (terrible, I hated every thing about it)

Their Eyes Were Watching God (not too bad, for the genre and theme)

It might seem like I can't stand reading, but I really do enjoy it I just have odd and specific views on quality (unlike Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Mantince, if anyone else read it for TOK).

Word! This dictation in World Literature texts is horrible. I wish we could take Metamorphosis by Kafka - but no.

We have the following world literature books:

Mirad, a boy from Bosnia & King Oedipus = Great!!

The Outsider = Sounds good

Medea = Okay

If this is a man = I'm not even going to read this... it has 398 pages and it doesn't sound too interesting (jews in ww2), but even if it was - 398 pages is too much!

Haha, I know! Metamorphosis sounds awesome, but our teachers are too lazy to change their books (they've been using the same world lit books forever).

The Outsider is good, and I like the Mirad one involving Oedipus (that'd be easy to write about :P )

You have the option of whether or not to read them!?!?!

We have to write a smaller version of the world lit for all our works, and turn in study questions, take quizzes,tests, etc. on all our world lit works.